.snapshot file - Storage

This is a discussion on .snapshot file - Storage ; I am using a NetApp file server. The volumes contain a file '.snapshot', which are apparently huge. What I want to know is whether deleting this file will help in saving space. I would also like to know whether deleting ...

  1. .snapshot file

    I am using a NetApp file server. The volumes contain a file
    '.snapshot', which are apparently huge. What I want to know is whether
    deleting this file will help in saving space. I would also like to know
    whether deleting these files have any adverse effect.
    Thanks in advance,
    Gopu Bhaskar.

  2. Re: .snapshot file

    On 26 Jul 2005 16:07:18 -0700, gopubhaskar@gmail.com wrote:

    >I am using a NetApp file server. The volumes contain a file
    >'.snapshot', which are apparently huge. What I want to know is whether
    >deleting this file will help in saving space. I would also like to know
    >whether deleting these files have any adverse effect.
    >Thanks in advance,
    >Gopu Bhaskar.

    If you get on the filer itself and type 'df' (or run it from rsh)
    you'll see something like:

    Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted
    on
    /vol/vol1/ 1390774812 1116550296 274224516 80% /vol/vol1/
    /vol/vol1/.snapshot 1390774808 1972074924 0 142%
    /vol/vol1/.snapshot

    What this is is a logical seperation of space on a physical volume.
    This area holds locked pointers of changed blocks in the live file
    system.

    The snapshot volume is one of the things that makes a NetApp so great
    but it can be removed completely if you just want all the space. You
    should contact support for this.

    However, unless your snapshot volume is over 100% (like mine) then it
    will not effect capacity in the live file system. You can adjust the
    reserve but, again, contact support.

    Support will better explain the potential issues with you doing this
    than I can.

    ~F

+ Reply to Thread