Problems With Tape Library Expansion Cabinets - Storage

This is a discussion on Problems With Tape Library Expansion Cabinets - Storage ; I'm curious what are the experiences of other users here who have expansion cabinets on their tape libraries? Without exception, every time I have encountered a customer with even one expansion cabinet it measurably affects reliability of the installation. They ...

  1. Problems With Tape Library Expansion Cabinets

    I'm curious what are the experiences of other users here who have expansion
    cabinets on their tape libraries? Without exception, every time I have
    encountered a customer with even one expansion cabinet it measurably affects
    reliability of the installation. They typically experience two to 10 days
    of downtime a year on the library for releveling or other problems related
    to alignment of the expansion cabinets. This doesn't appear to be vendor
    specific. I have seen as many problems with ADIC Scalar 1000 as we with
    IBM 3584. What are the experiences of other users?

    --
    Will
    Internet: westes AT earthbroadcast.com

  2. Re: Problems With Tape Library Expansion Cabinets

    Well, ADIC Scalar 1000 and IBM 3584 are the same library, since IBM
    OEM's that from ADIC. I work with a lot of clients who have 3584's and
    3494 libraries with 4-16 frames and never hear of such periods of
    downtime for "realignment". Are there any external environmental
    factors in your data center such as earthquakes, weak raised floor that
    allows vibration/shifting, frequent equipment movement, etc?

  3. Re: Problems With Tape Library Expansion Cabinets

    I'm not talking about our data center. I'm talking about every
    customer I know who has one of these, which is dozens of
    customers.

    --
    Will
    Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com

    wrote in message
    news:1121427186.574685.68740@g47g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    > Well, ADIC Scalar 1000 and IBM 3584 are the same library, since

    IBM
    > OEM's that from ADIC. I work with a lot of clients who have

    3584's and
    > 3494 libraries with 4-16 frames and never hear of such periods

    of
    > downtime for "realignment". Are there any external

    environmental
    > factors in your data center such as earthquakes, weak raised

    floor that
    > allows vibration/shifting, frequent equipment movement, etc?

  4. Re: Problems With Tape Library Expansion Cabinets

    And, by the way, when you press the support people at the
    manufacturer companies about this issue, they all acknowledge
    that the issue exists. I think you are simply blessed with
    lucky customers who never have the problem, and I am blessed with
    unlucky customers who always have the problem. But the support
    people who deal with hundreds of these have all acknowledged to
    me when pressed that the leveling issue is a recurrent problem
    for them.

    --
    Will
    Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com

    wrote in message
    news:1121427186.574685.68740@g47g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    > Well, ADIC Scalar 1000 and IBM 3584 are the same library, since

    IBM
    > OEM's that from ADIC. I work with a lot of clients who have

    3584's and
    > 3494 libraries with 4-16 frames and never hear of such periods

    of
    > downtime for "realignment". Are there any external

    environmental
    > factors in your data center such as earthquakes, weak raised

    floor that
    > allows vibration/shifting, frequent equipment movement, etc?

  5. Re: Problems With Tape Library Expansion Cabinets

    "Will" wrote in message
    > And, by the way, when you press the support people at the
    > manufacturer companies about this issue, they all acknowledge
    > that the issue exists. I think you are simply blessed with
    > lucky customers who never have the problem, and I am blessed with
    > unlucky customers who always have the problem. But the support
    > people who deal with hundreds of these have all acknowledged to
    > me when pressed that the leveling issue is a recurrent problem
    > for them.
    >
    > --
    > Will
    > Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com

    Having worked in support for many years I should add that support people
    have a twisted view on reality. Support only gets called when there's a
    problem. So support people never get to speak with the happy customers and
    they don't know how good or bad a product is. All they know is that certain
    issues are more profound that others. If ADIC sold 10.000 of these libraries
    and 50 of them have a problem then that's only 0.5%. If of those 50, there's
    45 with alignment issues then support people will soon raise a flag claiming
    'all these units' have alignment issues.

    A product that sells poorly with 10% annual failure rate may be perceived by
    support as superior to a highly successful product with a 2% annual failure
    rate, simply because the absolute number of support calls is a lot higher.

    Rob

  6. Re: Problems With Tape Library Expansion Cabinets

    In article , _wipe_me_r.turk@chello.nl says...

    >"Will" wrote in message
    >> And, by the way, when you press the support people at the
    >> manufacturer companies about this issue, they all acknowledge
    >> that the issue exists. I think you are simply blessed with
    >> lucky customers who never have the problem, and I am blessed with
    >> unlucky customers who always have the problem. But the support
    >> people who deal with hundreds of these have all acknowledged to
    >> me when pressed that the leveling issue is a recurrent problem
    >> for them.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Will
    >> Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com

    >Having worked in support for many years I should add that support people
    >have a twisted view on reality. Support only gets called when there's a
    >problem. So support people never get to speak with the happy customers and
    >they don't know how good or bad a product is. All they know is that certain
    >issues are more profound that others. If ADIC sold 10.000 of these libraries
    >and 50 of them have a problem then that's only 0.5%. If of those 50, there's
    >45 with alignment issues then support people will soon raise a flag claiming
    >'all these units' have alignment issues.
    >
    >A product that sells poorly with 10% annual failure rate may be perceived by
    >support as superior to a highly successful product with a 2% annual failure
    >rate, simply because the absolute number of support calls is a lot higher.

    it's an interesting exercise to look at the ADIC spec sheets
    they typically have half the MTBF of their competitors

    _____ . .
    O// . . |
    \_\ . . |
    / | . www.EvenEnterprises.com . . . |
    / .| aseltzer@EvenEnterprises.com . . . |
    / . | 310-544-9439 / 310-544-9309 fax . . . o