SAN for small buisness - Storage

This is a discussion on SAN for small buisness - Storage ; I work for a small company that is thinking about migrating to a SAN solution for our storage problems. Our situation is this: 1. We have ~10 HP servers, some of which use 15000 Ultra 320 SCSI disks, others of ...

  1. SAN for small buisness

    I work for a small company that is thinking about migrating to a SAN
    solution for our storage problems.
    Our situation is this:
    1. We have ~10 HP servers, some of which use 15000 Ultra 320 SCSI
    disks, others of which use ATA disks (DL140 servers).
    2. These HP ProLiant servers must be able to boot from the SAN.
    3. I definitely want to use all (or at least most) of the SCSI disks
    from our servers. Problem is that some are different capacities. Most
    are 72.8s, but some are 146.8s. I know that as a general rule putting
    drives of different capacities onto the same RAID array will truncate
    the space, and I want to avoid that.
    4. I want to go iSCSI for the networking, as the fibre gets so
    expensive when adding additional servers. I realize that iSCSI can be a
    performance hit, but I doubt that the disk IO will be the limiting
    factor in our company for some time to come (I plan to run some disk
    activity tests, haven't made it that far yet).

    Any suggestions would be appreciated. My current thoughts are below.

    1. Using a SANRAD V 3000 combined with a HP500 RAID controller for the
    disks, and emBOOT to provide booting capabilities.
    2. Possibly something like the DS300 from IBM. The DS300 is appealing,
    but the rep from IBM said the disks we have couldn't be used the way
    I want to. Could the IBM controller possibly be used with a HP drive
    bay for the disks?

  2. Re: SAN for small buisness

    wrote in message
    news:1121269368.260414.165300@o13g2000cwo.googlegr oups.com...
    >I work for a small company that is thinking about migrating to a SAN
    > solution for our storage problems.
    > Our situation is this:
    > 1. We have ~10 HP servers, some of which use 15000 Ultra 320 SCSI
    > disks, others of which use ATA disks (DL140 servers).
    > 2. These HP ProLiant servers must be able to boot from the SAN.

    [SNIP]

    > Any suggestions would be appreciated. My current thoughts are below.
    >
    > 1. Using a SANRAD V 3000 combined with a HP500 RAID controller for the

    [SNIP]

    Instead of telling what you want to implement, why not tell what your goal
    is? Why do you think you need a SAN? Why do your servers need to boot from
    it? Tell us what you want to accomplish, not what you want to tie together..

    Rob

  3. Re: SAN for small buisness

    On 13 Jul 2005 08:42:48 -0700, "timbrigham@hotmail.com"
    wrote:

    >I work for a small company that is thinking about migrating to a SAN
    >solution for our storage problems.
    >
    >Any suggestions would be appreciated. My current thoughts are below.

    Well... depending on what you have in those servers for controllers...
    the smart-array based controllers should be able to move disks
    interchangeably with the HP StorageWorks MSA arrays. The MSA is a
    smart-array based SAN storage array. Your host-based disks in a
    smart-array could move somewhat transparently to the MSA, keeping all
    data, raidsets, etc. intact.

    To do ISCSI, you'd implement the HP StorageWorks IP Storage Router
    2122-2.

    Disclaimer: I do work for HP in the storage consulting practice.

    --- jls
    The preceding message was personal opinion only.
    I do not speak in any authorized capacity for anyone,
    and certainly not my employer.

  4. Re: SAN for small buisness

    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 17:54:43 +0200, "Rob Turk"
    <_wipe_me_r.turk@chello.nl> wrote:

    > wrote in message
    >news:1121269368.260414.165300@o13g2000cwo.googlegr oups.com...
    >>I work for a small company that is thinking about migrating to a SAN
    >> solution for our storage problems.
    >> Our situation is this:
    >> 1. We have ~10 HP servers, some of which use 15000 Ultra 320 SCSI
    >> disks, others of which use ATA disks (DL140 servers).
    >> 2. These HP ProLiant servers must be able to boot from the SAN.

    >[SNIP]
    >
    >> Any suggestions would be appreciated. My current thoughts are below.
    >>
    >> 1. Using a SANRAD V 3000 combined with a HP500 RAID controller for the

    >[SNIP]
    >
    >Instead of telling what you want to implement, why not tell what your goal
    >is? Why do you think you need a SAN? Why do your servers need to boot from
    >it? Tell us what you want to accomplish, not what you want to tie together..
    >
    >Rob

    Rob is 100% correct, what are you're storage problems? Maybe a SAN is
    not the answer...
    There's a lot of talent and experience in this forum, tap into it.

    ~F

  5. Re: SAN for small buisness

    I would drop the older drivers and go with a proven NAS/ISCSI/SAN
    solution like NetApp. this way no matter what you want to do the
    storage will be able to meet the need. Mixing up the drives will in
    the end cause you to take a performance hit and you will have to think
    about hot spare issues with multiple drive sizes.

  6. Re: SAN for small buisness

    I would drop the older drives and go with a proven NAS/ISCSI/SAN
    solution like NetApp. this way no matter what you want to do the
    storage will be able to meet the need. Mixing up the drives will in
    the end cause you to take a performance hit and you will have to think
    about hot spare issues with multiple drive sizes.

  7. Re: SAN for small buisness

    On 15 Jul 2005 13:35:59 -0700, "carmelomcc"
    wrote:

    >I would drop the older drivers and go with a proven NAS/ISCSI/SAN
    >solution like NetApp. this way no matter what you want to do the
    >storage will be able to meet the need. Mixing up the drives will in
    >the end cause you to take a performance hit and you will have to think
    >about hot spare issues with multiple drive sizes.

    As much as I love NetApp for NAS I do not recommend them for SAN. The
    OP gave nowhere near enough info for anyone to really help.

    For instance, if most of the requirements are satisfied by SAN then go
    with HDS/HP/EMC/IBM/whatever and just front-end some NAS.

    If NAS is the primary solution then determine if you really need block
    access. If no, problem solved. If yes then maybe iSCSI would fit the
    bill. In which case NetApp is great.

    Need more info though. Specifically the actual problem to be solved.

    ~F

+ Reply to Thread