SAN Storage (Tier)? - Storage

This is a discussion on SAN Storage (Tier)? - Storage ; Can someone please explain to me the difference between Tier 1 and Tier 2 storage? Cheers!...

  1. SAN Storage (Tier)?

    Can someone please explain to me the difference between Tier 1 and Tier
    2 storage?

    Cheers!

  2. Re: SAN Storage (Tier)?

    On 12 Jul 2005 22:08:54 -0700, shpot4@yahoo.com wrote:

    >Can someone please explain to me the difference between Tier 1 and Tier
    >2 storage?
    >
    >Cheers!

    Hah, now that's posted by either a troll or a newbie since it could
    easily start a flame war.

    Best explanation *I* have is (for the general public) cost. Tier 1 is
    usually considered the high end stuff. Fiber channel drives,
    redundant everything, fast, expensive (usually), and reserved for
    mission critical applications and data.

    Tier 2 is usually (s)ata. High capacity, still redundant but maybe
    not everywhere. Used generally for less important apps/data and
    possibly disk based backups.

    Example of vendor tier:
    Hitachi (HDS) 9980 - tier1
    HDS 9500 - tier2

    The 9980 is discontinued these days but the point is still the same.

    The definition of tiers is becoming more environment specific all the
    time. In my case tiers are based purely on performance, not on cost.
    Tier2 is actually more expensive than tier1. How's that?! Doesn't
    that go against conventional wisdom? No.
    Tier1 is defined as the fastest storage IO we can get, which in
    reality is pretty cheap if you're not worried about availability.
    Tier2 is not so fast but is more redundant, that's where the cost
    usually comes into play.

    Anyway, hopefully this helps. I imagine there will be plenty of posts
    on this one...

    ~F

  3. Re: SAN Storage (Tier)?

    I would agree. Tiered storage is the concept of logically grouping your
    storage in ways that make it easier to place data on the storage that
    you operate that most closely matches your price/performance profile
    that you define. One person's tier 1 may be RAID-10 ATA and tier 2 is
    RAID -5 ATA, etc. The usual concept is tier 1 - high speed I/O, tier 2
    - general purpose computing, tier 3 - archival, tier 4 - long term
    archive/off-site (we usually integrate tape into this tier ourselves).

    The real key to enabling tiered storage is automating the information
    flow from one tier to another based on business rules. Mainframes have
    used ILM concepts for years, so it is no surprise that open systems
    storage is finding great value in the concept.

    Don't let any vendors lead you into thinking that tiered storage is
    their original idea or that they are the only ones who do it. Do the
    research and understand that proprietary software stacks that only let
    you work with their hardware can hurt you in the long run.

  4. Re: SAN Storage (Tier)?

    Can anyone explain, how it is that you have increased iops with tier 1 is there a difference in the disk or is it dowwn to the way the information is stored, ie mirroring over parity?
    Thanks,

+ Reply to Thread