IBM DS4300 or HP MSA1500 - Storage

This is a discussion on IBM DS4300 or HP MSA1500 - Storage ; Hi! We're currently in the process of aquiring a new SAN to service our new Exchange cluster, SQL Server and VMWare servers. The exchange cluster ( 2 node active/passive ) will service around 1000 users, but we need to plan ...

  1. IBM DS4300 or HP MSA1500

    Hi!

    We're currently in the process of aquiring a new SAN to service our new
    Exchange cluster, SQL Server and VMWare servers.

    The exchange cluster ( 2 node active/passive ) will service around 1000
    users, but we need to plan for at least double that in the future.

    We will have 2 VMWare servers, each an IBM x445 with 4 CPUs, with an
    approximated 30 VMs total.

    We also want to attach an SQL server to the SAN.

    We expect storage requirements to accelerate quite a bit in the future,
    and would like something that scales fairly well both in performance
    and capacity.

    Total storage requirements for now are around 1.5 TB.

    We asked IBM and HP to come up with what they considered a good fit for
    our needs. IBM came up with their DS4300, while HP wants to sell us an
    MSA1500.

    >From looking at the specs, the DS4300 seems like a "medium-level" SAN,

    while the MSA1500 looks pretty low-end. the DS4300 uses FibreChannel
    disks, while HP uses regular SCSI.

    Anyone have some experience with any - or both of these SANs ? Any
    recommendations ?

  2. Re: IBM DS4300 or HP MSA1500

    You hit the nail on the head when you stated the DS4300 is mid-range
    and the MSA1500 is low end. IBM's DS400 would be a better comparison to
    the MSA1500. However, based on your requirements listed above, you
    would be best served by the DS4300. We deploy these arrays in VMWare,
    SQL, etc environments every day. One thing VMWare definitely does is
    push the limits of your SAN, which makes sense when you consider that
    you are doing the work of 30 servers.... Good luck with your investment.

+ Reply to Thread