Re: Will LTO3 be underutilized here? 4 drives MSL6060 point to point Fiber - Storage

This is a discussion on Re: Will LTO3 be underutilized here? 4 drives MSL6060 point to point Fiber - Storage ; "JP" wrote in message news:1120683995.901567.38750@g47g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com... > The last one: as we compete with other provider, the customer says than > someone is trying to get them into the "iscsi wagon". Do you think that > technology is mature enough ...

  1. Re: Will LTO3 be underutilized here? 4 drives MSL6060 point to point Fiber

    "JP" wrote in message
    news:1120683995.901567.38750@g47g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    > The last one: as we compete with other provider, the customer says than
    > someone is trying to get them into the "iscsi wagon". Do you think that
    > technology is mature enough this days? Will they REALLY get a cheaper
    > solution with enough cappabilities? Am I wrong...or is iscsi better
    > suited to distributed infrastructures? This people has all 6 servers in
    > the same place.

    iSCSI is just a transport, like SCSI or Fibre Channel. The main advantages
    are that it works over a very well known infrastructure (Ethernet), and that
    components for that infrastructure are usually already present in most
    organisations. This means you save on training, and possibly on building a
    new infrastructure if your current network can sustain the extra traffic.
    For serious iSCSI work you still need to invest in new TOE Ethernet cards
    for your servers which are similarly priced to Fibre HBA's, and you may need
    to invest in new GbE switches.

    If your customer is looking at hooking up the library through FC, why not
    get the servers onto the same FC SAN and use the shared tape drive
    (LAN-free) approach? All servers see the tape drives, the backup server
    assigns which server can access which tape drive. Backups will be local to
    each server, at full FC speed.

    Rob

  2. Re: Will LTO3 be underutilized here? 4 drives MSL6060 point to point Fiber

    Hi Rob:
    Ive been with the customer and with the help of you all I think Im
    guiding him in the right direction. The LAN-free issue is on the table
    now, and I think it will be made that way. My worry was not to loose
    sight from new ideas that can lead him in other directions and me not
    having what to say.
    The new doubt is this, and related with everything we wrote before: in
    a "bad" network, which tape drive will suffer more? LTO2 or LTO3? I
    explained that between 27 to 80 MB/s LTO3 adjusts to input, but I
    dont know which one will be slower at sub 20 MB/s speeds.

    thanks a lot,

    JP

  3. Re: Will LTO3 be underutilized here? 4 drives MSL6060 point to point Fiber

    GigE switch is USD 100 for 5 ports. The card is something like USD 30
    (Intel), it has task offload.

    --
    Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
    StorageCraft Corporation

    "Rob Turk" <_wipe_me_r.turk@chello.nl> wrote in message
    > "JP" wrote in message
    > news:1120683995.901567.38750@g47g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    > > The last one: as we compete with other provider, the customer says than
    > > someone is trying to get them into the "iscsi wagon". Do you think that
    > > technology is mature enough this days? Will they REALLY get a cheaper
    > > solution with enough cappabilities? Am I wrong...or is iscsi better
    > > suited to distributed infrastructures? This people has all 6 servers in
    > > the same place.

    > iSCSI is just a transport, like SCSI or Fibre Channel. The main advantages
    > are that it works over a very well known infrastructure (Ethernet), and that
    > components for that infrastructure are usually already present in most
    > organisations. This means you save on training, and possibly on building a
    > new infrastructure if your current network can sustain the extra traffic.
    > For serious iSCSI work you still need to invest in new TOE Ethernet cards
    > for your servers which are similarly priced to Fibre HBA's, and you may need
    > to invest in new GbE switches.
    >
    > If your customer is looking at hooking up the library through FC, why not
    > get the servers onto the same FC SAN and use the shared tape drive
    > (LAN-free) approach? All servers see the tape drives, the backup server
    > assigns which server can access which tape drive. Backups will be local to
    > each server, at full FC speed.
    >
    > Rob

+ Reply to Thread