Re: Will LTO3 be underutilized here? 4 drives MSL6060 point to point Fiber - Storage

This is a discussion on Re: Will LTO3 be underutilized here? 4 drives MSL6060 point to point Fiber - Storage ; What is the client attempting to accomplish? Four LTO3s is a lot of bandwidth for six servers. The biggest problem with modern tape drives is that they can be somewhat unreliable when they are run at less than full speed. ...

  1. Re: Will LTO3 be underutilized here? 4 drives MSL6060 point to point Fiber

    What is the client attempting to accomplish? Four LTO3s is a lot of
    bandwidth for six servers. The biggest problem with modern tape drives
    is that they can be somewhat unreliable when they are run at less than
    full speed. The ability to properly utilize the tape drives depends as
    much on the servers being backed up as the interconnect used.

    We have done some installs using a disk based virtual tape library
    (VTL) to handle the initial backup streams and then replicated to a
    tape library. This allows inital backup to be completed as fast as the
    servers can provide the data and then the tape drives can be driven as
    fast as they can handle.

  2. Re: Will LTO3 be underutilized here? 4 drives MSL6060 point to point Fiber

    Hi:

    One of the new features LTO3 has is that it properly addapts to feed
    slowdowns from 27 MB/s to 80 MB/s. Ive read somewhere that in a test
    it proved very efficient. Can we think that at sub-ideal speeds the new
    LTO3 unit will be more reliable/speedy than a LTO2 because of this?

    regard, and I really appreciate this help

    JP

+ Reply to Thread