Is OS going to scan the full device while detecting it? - Storage

This is a discussion on Is OS going to scan the full device while detecting it? - Storage ; Hi All, I have a question about USB mass storage, such as flash pendrive. Is OS going to scan its all logical blocks after detecting the pendrive or just to scan the FAT table in the meantime?...

  1. Is OS going to scan the full device while detecting it?

    Hi All,

    I have a question about USB mass storage, such as flash pendrive.
    Is OS going to scan its all logical blocks after detecting the pendrive
    or
    just to scan the FAT table in the meantime?

  2. Re: Is OS going to scan the full device while detecting it?

    Even the FAT table is not 100% scanned on mount. Only the minimum necessary
    is read on mount.

    Use CHKDSK to scan the whole media.

    --
    Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
    StorageCraft Corporation

    "Yukuan" wrote in message
    news:1120531105.684899.24410@o13g2000cwo.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have a question about USB mass storage, such as flash pendrive.
    > Is OS going to scan its all logical blocks after detecting the pendrive
    > or
    > just to scan the FAT table in the meantime?

  3. Re: Is OS going to scan the full device while detecting it?

    Please help me make a further confirmation:
    An OS only scans necessary partial FAT while device mounting;
    and do not scans/reads any other data.
    Am I right?

    Maxim S. Shatskih wrote:
    > Even the FAT table is not 100% scanned on mount. Only the minimum necessary
    > is read on mount.
    >
    > Use CHKDSK to scan the whole media.

  4. Re: Is OS going to scan the full device while detecting it?

    Yes. It scans the bootblock only in some cases. Well, for FAT32, the very
    nearest file access will also scan the root directory cluster chain.

    FASTFAT.SYS has no code to do any media surface checks on mount.

    --

    "Yukuan" wrote in message
    news:1120655569.426492.119340@g47g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...

    > Please help me make a further confirmation:
    > An OS only scans necessary partial FAT while device mounting;
    > and do not scans/reads any other data.
    > Am I right?
    >
    > Maxim S. Shatskih wrote:
    > > Even the FAT table is not 100% scanned on mount. Only the minimum necessary
    > > is read on mount.
    > >
    > > Use CHKDSK to scan the whole media.

  5. Re: Is OS going to scan the full device while detecting it?

    Maxim S. Shatskih wrote:
    > Yes. It scans the bootblock only in some cases. Well, for FAT32, the very

    ^^^^^^^^
    > nearest file access will also scan the root directory cluster chain.

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    > FASTFAT.SYS has no code to do any media surface checks on mount.

    Grateful to have you help me clear my doubt.

    But I am still confused by the "very nearest file access".
    What does it mean?

  6. Re: Is OS going to scan the full device while detecting it?

    > But I am still confused by the "very nearest file access".

    First file access after mount.

    --
    Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
    StorageCraft Corporation