Buffalo Terrastation, anyone got any comments on this ? - Storage

This is a discussion on Buffalo Terrastation, anyone got any comments on this ? - Storage ; I plan to buy two of these to be used as a cheap means of storing non critical data and as an addition to tape based backups of our servers (backed up to LTO1 tapes), in the U.K. I can ...

  1. Buffalo Terrastation, anyone got any comments on this ?

    I plan to buy two of these to be used as a cheap means of storing non
    critical data and as an addition to tape based backups of our servers
    (backed up to LTO1 tapes), in the U.K. I can get the 1GB Terrastation for
    around 650 + tax.

    Now at this price I know they're not the best NAS in the world as they use
    IDE disks and from what I've read on the Internet the gigibit ethernet makes
    bugger all difference due to the disk being a bottleneck.

    I can't really think of any other NAS products that are anywhere near this
    price with the same sort of spec or storage capacity ?. Next year I plan to
    setup a SAN at work so I see no point in spending say 5,000 on a high end
    NAS box with Windows Server 2003 embeded ?.

    Anyone got any opinons on the above or has anyone here actually had hands on
    experiance with a Terrastation ?.

    Thanks.

    Clive.

  2. Re: Buffalo Terrastation, anyone got any comments on this ?

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 12:31:19 +0100, "Fatboy40"
    wrote:

    >I plan to buy two of these to be used as a cheap means of storing non
    >critical data and as an addition to tape based backups of our servers
    >(backed up to LTO1 tapes), in the U.K. I can get the 1GB Terrastation for
    >around 650 + tax.
    >
    >Now at this price I know they're not the best NAS in the world as they use
    >IDE disks and from what I've read on the Internet the gigibit ethernet makes
    >bugger all difference due to the disk being a bottleneck.
    >
    >I can't really think of any other NAS products that are anywhere near this
    >price with the same sort of spec or storage capacity ?. Next year I plan to
    >setup a SAN at work so I see no point in spending say 5,000 on a high end
    >NAS box with Windows Server 2003 embeded ?.
    >
    >Anyone got any opinons on the above or has anyone here actually had hands on
    >experiance with a Terrastation ?.
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Clive.

    I'm not sure on reasons for your choice (other than price) but the
    following may also be an option for you.

    http://www.openfiler.org/

    ~F

+ Reply to Thread