Tape Libraries - Which one to buy? - Storage

This is a discussion on Tape Libraries - Which one to buy? - Storage ; The ultimate question... We are implementing a new production system and need to determine which vendor to go with for the tape library. We need the capacity to back up approximately 50TB weekly across four tape pools, and are looking ...

  1. Tape Libraries - Which one to buy?

    The ultimate question... We are implementing a new production system
    and need to determine which vendor to go with for the tape library. We
    need the capacity to back up approximately 50TB weekly across four tape
    pools, and are looking at a minimum of 300-cartridge libraries.

    We're using Legato NetWorker on Red Hat Linux ES3, all Windows clients
    (Server 2003 mostly). LTO-3 is preferred for the media. We are
    currently using HP's MSL6060 and MSL5060 with LTO-2 and LTO-1
    respectively. We are unhappy with these libraries due to the failure
    rate of internal components and HP's support as of late... or lack of
    support, I might say.

    Currently we are comparing ADIC Scalar i2000, StorageTek L1400M or
    similar, and HP's StorageWorks ESL9000 series. Does anyone have input
    for any of these hardware solutions? Negative or positive, we just
    need feedback.

    Thanks!
    Jessica

  2. Re: Tape Libraries - Which one to buy?

    skrev i meddelandet
    news:1120085144.826449.188270@z14g2000cwz.googlegr oups.com...
    > The ultimate question... We are implementing a new production system
    > and need to determine which vendor to go with for the tape library. We
    > need the capacity to back up approximately 50TB weekly across four tape
    > pools, and are looking at a minimum of 300-cartridge libraries.
    >
    > We're using Legato NetWorker on Red Hat Linux ES3, all Windows clients
    > (Server 2003 mostly). LTO-3 is preferred for the media. We are
    > currently using HP's MSL6060 and MSL5060 with LTO-2 and LTO-1
    > respectively. We are unhappy with these libraries due to the failure
    > rate of internal components and HP's support as of late... or lack of
    > support, I might say.
    >
    > Currently we are comparing ADIC Scalar i2000, StorageTek L1400M or
    > similar, and HP's StorageWorks ESL9000 series. Does anyone have input
    > for any of these hardware solutions? Negative or positive, we just
    > need feedback.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Jessica

    FWIW, HP also has the new-ish ESL-e series library, in time replacing the
    older ESL9000 libraries. One of my clients has replaced their ESL9000 with
    an ESL-E, and they think it's an improvement. To them, it's faster, quieter
    and for lack of a better term, sleeker. Then again, it's not exactly rocket
    science. It's a big box with a robotic arm, tape slots and some drives. It
    doesn't do much more than shuffle tapes and data around all day. Backup
    software still has to feed it and tell it what to do.
    HP OEMs all their tape libraries. The MSL series from Overland, the ESL from
    QuantumATL. HP also has a new EML line OEMed from StorageTek/Sun, but those
    are below your 300 slot requirment.

    As you probably know, Sun has announced they are buying StorageTek. This
    might affect your decision.

  3. Re: Tape Libraries - Which one to buy?

    Thanks Charles! I'll have to look into the ESL-E libraries. We're
    looking for basic robotics - Legato will be instructing it on what to
    do. Currently we have flexibility with the MSL's but when used, Legato
    just plain gets confused and stops working. For example, if you
    physically move media from the mail slot into a drive, Legato get so
    confused that it doesn't recognize the drive. There are so many things
    to consider when buying new hardware like this.

    I was aware that Sun bought StorageTek. I'm wondering how well the
    hardware will be supported when using a Red Hat management solution for
    the backup software? Not sure if this really matters.

    Thanks again!
    Jessica

+ Reply to Thread