cheap NAS?? - Storage

This is a discussion on cheap NAS?? - Storage ; hello I am looking for a cheap NAS for our firm. I have found Open-E NAS ENTERPRISE ( http://www.open-e.com/index.php?g=pr...ng=eng&aid=151 ). What do you think about this solutions?? Anyone use this NAS??? Maybe another solutions?? --- Best Regards, Halemb...

  1. cheap NAS??

    hello

    I am looking for a cheap NAS for our firm. I have found Open-E NAS
    ENTERPRISE (http://www.open-e.com/index.php?g=pr...ng=eng&aid=151).
    What do you think about this solutions?? Anyone use this NAS???
    Maybe another solutions??

    ---
    Best Regards, Halemb

  2. Re: cheap NAS??

    "halemb" wrote in message
    > hello
    >
    > I am looking for a cheap NAS for our firm. I have found Open-E NAS
    > ENTERPRISE (http://www.open-e.com/index.php?g=pr...ng=eng&aid=151).
    > What do you think about this solutions?? Anyone use this NAS???
    > Maybe another solutions??
    >
    > ---
    > Best Regards, Halemb

    This looks like a bootable IDE Flash disk with NAS software, presumably
    based on Linux or BSD. Interesting gadget. Next step is probably a bootable
    USB key ;-)

    The quality/reliability of the NAS itself depends also on the hardware you
    plug this in to. It looks like you need to buy an off-the-shelf server +
    disks to turn this into a product.

    Rob

  3. Re: cheap NAS??

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 09:41:21 +0200, halemb wrote:

    > hello
    >
    >I am looking for a cheap NAS for our firm. I have found Open-E NAS
    >ENTERPRISE (http://www.open-e.com/index.php?g=pr...ng=eng&aid=151).
    >What do you think about this solutions?? Anyone use this NAS???
    >Maybe another solutions??
    >
    >---
    >Best Regards, Halemb

    It depends on how cheap. I see nothing wrong with a Sun host running
    an optimized Solaris kernel as an NFS server. This is substantially
    cheaper than, say, a NetApp. However it's still more expensive than a
    white box running Gentoo Linux with a grip of ATA drives attached to
    it.
    It's all in the definition I guess. It also depends on how reliable
    this needs to be. The more people use it the more important it
    becomes.

    ~F

  4. Re: cheap NAS??

    Open-E claims to have a large number of installs in Europe (over a
    thousand I believe is the claim). It appears that most of their sales
    are part of system integrator white box solutions. I saw a price for
    the enterprise version of their product (code module) that was less
    than $1000 for a pretty decent set of features (on brochureWEAR
    anyway.)

    If you try it out, you'll want to pay close attention to the
    combination of boards and adapters (duh!) as there must be limitations
    to the number of configurations that are supported. This technology
    appears to be targeted for applications calling for a few Terabytes of
    dirt cheap NAS storage (with RAID) at a price point less than $5k.

+ Reply to Thread