Ultra 5 and LSI8751SPE SCSI card in PCI Slot - Storage

This is a discussion on Ultra 5 and LSI8751SPE SCSI card in PCI Slot - Storage ; Hello everyone, I have an Ultra 5, running Solaris 8, with a LSI8751SPE SCSI card in PCI Slot 3. The SCSI card is attached to a D1000 disk array. At this point, I cannot get the system and the array ...

  1. Ultra 5 and LSI8751SPE SCSI card in PCI Slot

    Hello everyone,

    I have an Ultra 5, running Solaris 8, with a LSI8751SPE SCSI card in
    PCI Slot 3. The SCSI card is attached to a D1000 disk array. At this
    point, I cannot get the system and the array to communicate with each
    other. The command "probe-scsi-all" detects the card but yields a
    message which repeats unto infinity "Bus fault". In multi-user mode,
    the command "dmesg" indicates the entry:

    scsi: [ID 365881 kern.info]
    /pci@1f,0/pci@1/scsi@3 (glm0):
    Rev.6 Symbios 53c875 found.
    simba: [ID 370704 kern.info]
    PCI-device: scsi:3, glm0

    Also, the "cfgadm -al" command shows the following:

    Ap_Id Type Receptacle Occupant Condition
    c0 scsi-bus connected configured
    unknown
    c0::dsk/c0t0d0 disk connected configured
    unknown
    c0::dsk/c0t2d0 CD-ROM connected configured
    unknown
    c1 scsi-bus connected unconfigured
    unknown

    "cfgadm -f -c configure c1" yields no output, good or bad, and after
    trying to configure c1, the output from "cfgadm -al" remains unchaged.
    A reconfiguration boot has not helped as well. Lastly, if the problem
    is the absence of a driver, I cannot find a Solaris driver for this
    card at the LSILogic site(card manufacturer).

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. Re: Ultra 5 and LSI8751SPE SCSI card in PCI Slot

    On 27 Jun 2005 08:19:47 -0700, "iceman80231@yahoo.com"
    wrote:

    >Hello everyone,
    >
    >I have an Ultra 5, running Solaris 8, with a LSI8751SPE SCSI card in
    >PCI Slot 3. The SCSI card is attached to a D1000 disk array. At this
    >point, I cannot get the system and the array to communicate with each
    >other. The command "probe-scsi-all" detects the card but yields a
    >message which repeats unto infinity "Bus fault". In multi-user mode,
    >the command "dmesg" indicates the entry:

    The D1000 is most likely High Voltage Differential (HVD) while the LSI board
    seems to be standard single ended. HVD is incompatible to all other types of
    SCSI, so you might end up with a damaged scsi board!

    Get a SCSI board with HVD interface (e.g. LSI8751 _D_ (for Differential) not
    _SPE_ (single ended).

    Mit freundlichen Grüßen

    Frank-Christian Krügel

+ Reply to Thread