Question about Microsoft's Format command - Storage

This is a discussion on Question about Microsoft's Format command - Storage ; "yukuan" wrote in message news:1120099645.674386.61450@g14g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com... > > > Ron Reaugh wrote: > > > > But FAT can handle bad sectors, couldn't it? > > > > Not without first being involved in a file going bad. > > ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. Re: Question about Microsoft's Format command

    "yukuan" wrote in message
    news:1120099645.674386.61450@g14g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...

    > Ron Reaugh wrote:
    >
    > > > But FAT can handle bad sectors, couldn't it?

    > > Not without first being involved in a file going bad.
    > >
    > > > When does OS mark the bad sectors?

    > > Usually during the initial format and later if a file becomes

    unreadable.

    > For FAT16 and FAT32 on MS's platform, is the statement above still true?

    Yep.

  2. Re: Question about Microsoft's Format command

    > > When does OS mark the bad sectors?
    >
    > Usually during the initial format and later if a file becomes unreadable.

    The second part of the statement is valid for NTFS only.

    --
    Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
    StorageCraft Corporation

  3. Re: Question about Microsoft's Format command

    "Maxim S. Shatskih" wrote in message
    > > > When does OS mark the bad sectors?

    > > Usually during the initial format and later if a file becomes

    unreadable.

    > The second part of the statement is valid for NTFS only.

    Nope, True for FAT and W98 and older MS FAT OSs. I assume it's also true
    for FAT in NT4, W2K and WinXP although bad secors outside the drive are so
    rare that I can't say I seen one in the more recent MS OS-s. Can you
    provide any references for your claim?

  4. Re: Question about Microsoft's Format command

    FASTFAT source from the MS IFS kit.

    --

    "Ron Reaugh" wrote in message

    > "Maxim S. Shatskih" wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > Usually during the initial format and later if a file becomes

    > unreadable.
    > >
    > > The second part of the statement is valid for NTFS only.

    > Nope, True for FAT and W98 and older MS FAT OSs. I assume it's also true
    > for FAT in NT4, W2K and WinXP although bad secors outside the drive are so
    > rare that I can't say I seen one in the more recent MS OS-s. Can you
    > provide any references for your claim?

  5. Re: Question about Microsoft's Format command

    > FASTFAT source from the MS IFS kit.

    Says what exactly for which OS version?

    > "Ron Reaugh" wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Maxim S. Shatskih" wrote in message

    > > unreadable.
    > > >
    > > > The second part of the statement is valid for NTFS only.

    > > Nope, True for FAT and W98 and older MS FAT OSs. I assume it's also

    true
    > > for FAT in NT4, W2K and WinXP although bad secors outside the drive are

    so
    > > rare that I can't say I seen one in the more recent MS OS-s. Can you
    > > provide any references for your claim?

  6. Re: Question about Microsoft's Format command

    XP
    No block remaps in FAT
    With FAT, it is hard, since it is hard to find the previous block number -
    the FAT list is single-linked.