NetApp - Storage

This is a discussion on NetApp - Storage ; OK. I'm not sure if this is the right group to post this in or not. If not, let me know. I'm wondering if there's a way to tune the number of simultaneous SMB connections coming into a NetApp. Also, ...

  1. NetApp

    OK. I'm not sure if this is the right group to post this in or not.
    If not, let me know.

    I'm wondering if there's a way to tune the number of simultaneous SMB
    connections coming into a NetApp. Also, is there a way of tuning the
    maximum number of receive buffers that the NetApp can allocate?

    I'm running a F760 w/ 6.5.3P4.

    Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!

    -matt

  2. Re: NetApp

    Matt,

    What symptoms are you seeing? Are you trying to limit the number of
    SMB connections (now called CIFS)?

    Doug

  3. Re: NetApp

    Actually, the opposite. I'm attempting to serve content from the
    NetApp to a group of Windows boxes. I'm seeing the following issue
    when serving web content off of the NetApp:

    "The network BIOS command limit has been
    reached"

    Microsoft has a KB article,
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;810886, which
    discusses the error.

    On the Windows end you can increase a value in the Registry, MaxCmds,
    which increases the number of SMB/CIFS connections to a file server.
    If the file server were a Windows file server you would adjust
    MaxWorkItems and MaxMpxCt (MaxMpxCount) to tune, that is increase, the
    amount of simultaneous SMB connections and increase the number of
    receive buffers Windows will allocate to service those connections.

    I've ran in a similiar scenario using a Windows 2003 file server and
    haven't seen these errors.

    Any help you can provide is very appreciated. Thanks.

    -matt

  4. Re: NetApp

    On 22 Jun 2005 19:13:26 -0700, "Matt Baldwin"
    wrote:

    >Actually, the opposite. I'm attempting to serve content from the
    >NetApp to a group of Windows boxes. I'm seeing the following issue
    >when serving web content off of the NetApp:
    >
    >"The network BIOS command limit has been
    >reached"
    >
    >Microsoft has a KB article,
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;810886, which
    >discusses the error.
    >
    >On the Windows end you can increase a value in the Registry, MaxCmds,
    >which increases the number of SMB/CIFS connections to a file server.
    >If the file server were a Windows file server you would adjust
    >MaxWorkItems and MaxMpxCt (MaxMpxCount) to tune, that is increase, the
    >amount of simultaneous SMB connections and increase the number of
    >receive buffers Windows will allocate to service those connections.
    >
    >I've ran in a similiar scenario using a Windows 2003 file server and
    >haven't seen these errors.
    >
    >Any help you can provide is very appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    >-matt

    You can try mucking with the option cifs.max_mpx. By default it's set
    to 50, but it can be set higher.

    ~F

  5. Re: NetApp

    Thanks Faeander.

    Do you know what the max limit is or what a safe limit would be?

    Thanks.

    -matt

  6. Re: NetApp

    126, 253 and 1124 are approved values. Use only these values and the
    smallest value which will correct the situation as this affects
    performance.

    The most accurate way is to measure the Redirector Current Commands on
    the client with Perfmon and to increase the value until the Current
    Commands does not reach the negotiated limit.

    See Microsoft Q191370 for more information.

    Regards,

    Doug Vibbert

  7. Re: NetApp

    Don't forget that the Windows Registry key,

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es
    LanmanServer\parameters\MaxMpxCt

    must also match cifs.max_mpx ...

    Brian J. Mitchell
    Systems Administrator