16 terabytes of storage on Solaris? - Storage

This is a discussion on 16 terabytes of storage on Solaris? - Storage ; What's the best way of setting up a single filesystem of 16 terabytes (or a little less), at about 64 megabytes/second sustained or better, using Solaris? Needs to be reliable and economical, doesn't need to be blazing. Is there such ...

  1. 16 terabytes of storage on Solaris?

    What's the best way of setting up a single filesystem of 16 terabytes (or
    a little less), at about 64 megabytes/second sustained or better, using
    Solaris? Needs to be reliable and economical, doesn't need to be blazing.

    Is there such a thing as a JBOD or series of JBOD's that could be attached
    to the same box and SVM'd to this kind of capacity? Or perhaps RAID
    arrays that would present a series of large block devices that could be
    SVM'd?

    Does Solaris have anything like NBD/ENBD/AoE/iSCSI that would make remote
    disks seem local (say, over GigE?), for SVM purposes?

    How else might you construct such a large storage system?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: 16 terabytes of storage on Solaris?

    On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 22:24:12 GMT, Dan Stromberg
    wrote:

    >What's the best way of setting up a single filesystem of 16 terabytes (or
    >a little less), at about 64 megabytes/second sustained or better, using
    >Solaris? Needs to be reliable and economical, doesn't need to be blazing.
    >
    >Is there such a thing as a JBOD or series of JBOD's that could be attached
    >to the same box and SVM'd to this kind of capacity? Or perhaps RAID
    >arrays that would present a series of large block devices that could be
    >SVM'd?
    >
    >Does Solaris have anything like NBD/ENBD/AoE/iSCSI that would make remote
    >disks seem local (say, over GigE?), for SVM purposes?
    >
    >How else might you construct such a large storage system?
    >
    >Thanks!

    Actually, this is not that uncommon. You can do it several ways.

    1) jbod like the old A5xx arrays from Sun (in case you've got some
    laying around)

    2) brick arrays from vendors like Nexsan (ATABeast), HP (MSA1000),
    Overland (no idea), you name it. There are a ton of these vendors out
    there. Traditionally you can get 2TB per 3u shelf. As long as you
    have enough cards (scsi or fc) you can chain up till you have no more.

    3) Go for the monolithic array like those from HDS or EMC.

    There is an iSCSI client available for Solaris but unless you have
    iSCSI capable storage it won't really buy you much. My tact for
    something like this would be the brick method (#2).

    Of course, to do 16TB in a single file system you have to be running
    64 bit Solaris. But you probably already knew that...

    ~F

  3. Re: 16 terabytes of storage on Solaris?

    Faeandar wrote:

    >>What's the best way of setting up a single filesystem of 16 terabytes (or
    >>a little less), at about 64 megabytes/second sustained or better, using
    >>Solaris? Needs to be reliable and economical, doesn't need to be blazing.
    >>
    >>Is there such a thing as a JBOD or series of JBOD's that could be attached
    >>to the same box and SVM'd to this kind of capacity? Or perhaps RAID
    >>arrays that would present a series of large block devices that could be
    >>SVM'd?

    Infortrend has some interesting ATA based boxes that are inexpensive and
    seem to work.

    YMMV, I just had one in the lab for a few weeks. FWIW it seems the
    controller software is also used by some Sun producs, though the
    hardware is diferent.

    Thomas

+ Reply to Thread