Adic Scalar 100 LTO, slot obstructed, tapes not visible - Storage

This is a discussion on Adic Scalar 100 LTO, slot obstructed, tapes not visible - Storage ; We are facing a serious problem with our Scalar 100. Since more than one year we use home-made barcode labels: they worked perfectly until one week ago. Then few days ago we had to add 10 new tapes to the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Adic Scalar 100 LTO, slot obstructed, tapes not visible

  1. Adic Scalar 100 LTO, slot obstructed, tapes not visible

    We are facing a serious problem with our Scalar 100.
    Since more than one year we use home-made barcode labels: they worked
    perfectly until one week ago.
    Then few days ago we had to add 10 new tapes to the library... and half
    of them were not even detected by the library: the slots looked empty.

    We made a cold reboot of the library with the new tapes loaded.
    At startup we had an error message "slot is obstructed", and some of
    the new tapes were still not visible.

    Perhaps the problem was caused by the barcode... so we tried to enhance
    the reflective power of the label with some transparent tape: even
    worst, all tapes disappeared!

    Then I removed barcode label and I put stupid hand written labels: some
    of those tapes were already labelled and contained data, so I needed to
    have them online with barcode or not. No way!! They were still not
    visible.

    We use Sony and HP LTO2 media on the Scalar 100. We never had problem
    with those tapes on other libraries we use (HP MSL 6030 for example).

    Thanks for reading so far and thanks in advance if you can provide some
    suggestions.

    Bye,
    Fac


  2. Re: Adic Scalar 100 LTO, slot obstructed, tapes not visible

    There are several potential problems. Your bar code printer, the
    robotic picker mechanism in the library or the bar code reader in the
    unit. I don't know what diagnostic utilities exist for the unit, but
    you need to isolate the picker unit somehow and verify that it can
    access all tape slots in the system correctly. Its possible that a
    diagnostic utility could try all move operations and report on those
    that fail. Without a diagnostic utility, try this: Put tapes that you
    know you can read the bar codes and try placing them in the slots that
    are problematic. If they cannot then the problem is probably in the
    picker mechanism (more likely a physical problem than a software bug,
    but you should always check for driver updates). If you can access the
    known tapes then the problem is with the new tape cartridges or their
    bar codes. In that case check your bar code printer. Try several
    permutations of tapes in different locations - you might come to the
    conclusion that the bar code reader cannot read tapes correctly in
    certain slots. Make no assumptions about the operations under the sheet
    metal.

    One last thing. If you removed the bar codes from tapes that had data
    and were used by backup software then you want to make sure you get
    exactly the same bar codes stuck back on the exact same tapes. If you
    cannot do that, then you have partially screwed yourself. One of the
    worst things you can do is mislabel or relabel tapes without
    correlating those changes with backup software. Restore logic depends
    on having all names mapping correctly to physical media.


+ Reply to Thread