legato -- no networker servers found - Storage

This is a discussion on legato -- no networker servers found - Storage ; I have set up legato networker clients and servers 7.1.2. Server is solaris, clients are windows. 2 of our clients are on another subnet from the server, they backup ok, but when I run the networker user program on both ...

  1. legato -- no networker servers found

    I have set up legato networker clients and servers 7.1.2.
    Server is solaris, clients are windows.

    2 of our clients are on another subnet from the server, they
    backup ok, but when I run the networker user program on both these
    clients to restore data, they cant find the server, I get the error
    message "no networker servers found", the clients on the same subnet
    work fine.

    does anyone know why this is? I have a feeling the networker user
    program sends out some sort of broadcast/mulitcast to find the server,
    but when the server replies it seems to stick in the config somewhere.
    I dont think these broadcasts are getting to the server as the clients
    are on a different switch and subnet.

    Any help appreciated.

  2. Re: legato -- no networker servers found

    In <1118943363.865517.161390@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups. com> cconnell_1@lycos.com writes:

    >I have set up legato networker clients and servers 7.1.2.
    >Server is solaris, clients are windows.

    >2 of our clients are on another subnet from the server, they
    >backup ok, but when I run the networker user program on both these
    >clients to restore data, they cant find the server, I get the error
    >message "no networker servers found", the clients on the same subnet
    >work fine.

    >does anyone know why this is? I have a feeling the networker user
    >program sends out some sort of broadcast/mulitcast to find the server,
    >but when the server replies it seems to stick in the config somewhere.
    >I dont think these broadcasts are getting to the server as the clients
    >are on a different switch and subnet.

    >Any help appreciated.

    Ensure that you are using the "-s " switch
    on your Windows client Networker user program.

  3. Re: legato -- no networker servers found

    Colin McFadyen wrote:
    > In <1118943363.865517.161390@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups. com> cconnell_1@lycos.com writes:
    >
    > >I have set up legato networker clients and servers 7.1.2.
    > >Server is solaris, clients are windows.

    > >2 of our clients are on another subnet from the server, they
    > >backup ok, but when I run the networker user program on both these
    > >clients to restore data, they cant find the server, I get the error
    > >message "no networker servers found", the clients on the same subnet
    > >work fine.

    > >does anyone know why this is? I have a feeling the networker user
    > >program sends out some sort of broadcast/mulitcast to find the server,
    > >but when the server replies it seems to stick in the config somewhere.
    > >I dont think these broadcasts are getting to the server as the clients
    > >are on a different switch and subnet.

    > >Any help appreciated.

    > Ensure that you are using the "-s " switch
    > on your Windows client Networker user program.

    Thanks, where do you set that exactly? Do you call it from the command
    line somehow?
    Because, when I run the networker user program, it says 'searchiong for
    networker servers' then says 'no networker servers found' then the
    program closes completely! and I cant even specify the server name etc.

  4. Re: legato -- no networker servers found

    In <1118960288.840829.203540@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups. com> cconnell_1@lycos.com writes:

    >Colin McFadyen wrote:
    >> In <1118943363.865517.161390@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups. com> cconnell_1@lycos.com writes:
    >>
    >> >I have set up legato networker clients and servers 7.1.2.
    >> >Server is solaris, clients are windows.

    >> >2 of our clients are on another subnet from the server, they
    >> >backup ok, but when I run the networker user program on both these
    >> >clients to restore data, they cant find the server, I get the error
    >> >message "no networker servers found", the clients on the same subnet
    >> >work fine.

    >> >does anyone know why this is? I have a feeling the networker user
    >> >program sends out some sort of broadcast/mulitcast to find the server,
    >> >but when the server replies it seems to stick in the config somewhere.
    >> >I dont think these broadcasts are getting to the server as the clients
    >> >are on a different switch and subnet.

    >> >Any help appreciated.

    >> Ensure that you are using the "-s " switch
    >> on your Windows client Networker user program.

    >Thanks, where do you set that exactly? Do you call it from the command
    >line somehow?
    >Because, when I run the networker user program, it says 'searchiong for
    >networker servers' then says 'no networker servers found' then the
    >program closes completely! and I cant even specify the server name etc.

    Right-click on the program and select properties.
    In the target field, put the current entry inside double-quotes and
    then add -s outside the quotes.
    Click OK.
    --
    Colin McFadyen - Systems Support - colinm@ccs.carleton.ca
    Carleton University Computing and Communications Services

  5. Re: legato -- no networker servers found

    Colin McFadyen wrote:
    > In <1118960288.840829.203540@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups. com> cconnell_1@lycos.com writes:
    >

    > >Colin McFadyen wrote:

    > >> Ensure that you are using the "-s " switch
    > >> on your Windows client Networker user program.

    > >Thanks, where do you set that exactly? Do you call it from the command
    > >line somehow?
    > >Because, when I run the networker user program, it says 'searchiong for
    > >networker servers' then says 'no networker servers found' then the
    > >program closes completely! and I cant even specify the server name etc.

    > Right-click on the program and select properties.
    > In the target field, put the current entry inside double-quotes and
    > then add -s outside the quotes.
    > Click OK.
    > --
    > Colin McFadyen - Systems Support - colinm@ccs.carleton.ca
    > Carleton University Computing and Communications Services
    > Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA K1S 5B6

    Excellent! Worked a treat thankyou so much.

+ Reply to Thread