File replication - Windows disaster recovery - Storage

This is a discussion on File replication - Windows disaster recovery - Storage ; I posted a little while ago concerning failover solutions for a Windows 2000 server. Unfortunately, budget limitations prohibit the solutions recommended. So....here's our situation now....have a 2000 member server that needs to be replicated to a seperate server (no shared ...

  1. File replication - Windows disaster recovery

    I posted a little while ago concerning failover solutions for a
    Windows 2000 server. Unfortunately, budget limitations prohibit the
    solutions recommended. So....here's our situation now....have a 2000
    member server that needs to be replicated to a seperate server (no
    shared storage...just local drives in each and no automatic failover
    needed). What needs to be replicated is just files and
    directories...very simple. Problem is that these files number about
    1.5 million (very small and change very often). I tried using
    Robocopy with the mirror and monitor options but the process takes too
    long...I need something that replicates the files as they are written.
    Any cheap suggestions?

  2. Re: File replication - Windows disaster recovery

    "The other Mike" wrote in message
    >I posted a little while ago concerning failover solutions for a
    > Windows 2000 server. Unfortunately, budget limitations prohibit the
    > solutions recommended. So....here's our situation now....have a 2000
    > member server that needs to be replicated to a seperate server (no
    > shared storage...just local drives in each and no automatic failover
    > needed). What needs to be replicated is just files and
    > directories...very simple. Problem is that these files number about
    > 1.5 million (very small and change very often). I tried using
    > Robocopy with the mirror and monitor options but the process takes too
    > long...I need something that replicates the files as they are written.
    > Any cheap suggestions?

    Depending on your future plans, wait for Win2003 'R2' to be released. It has
    a built-in replication service just for this purpose.

    Rob

  3. Re: File replication - Windows disaster recovery

    How cheap is "cheap?" There are many options but none of them are
    free. You need software that monitors the FS for updates and then
    queues changed files for delivery to another system - confirming the
    completion of all changes to the remote system. Its easy to explain,
    but there is a lot of detailed housekeeping that needs to be done to
    make sure everything is done correctly. This kind of software
    necessarily integrates with the FS, which means it must work at a
    fairly low level inside the system without errors and it needs to be
    fast. You don't want this "cheap solution" to ignore errors and create
    other problems do you? You might need to reset your price
    excpectations.

    The process of transferring files does not occur in real time, but
    involves four basic components (this is a bit arbitrary I know, but you
    have to draw the line somewhere) 1) identification of changed files,
    2) queue management , 3) data transfer and acknowledgements, 4)
    administration and logging.

    I suggest you go to your favorite search engine and search for "windows
    file replication" then contact the vendors you find and start checking
    them out. If you find anything in your price range, then dig deeper and
    ask how their product implements the four functions outlined above so
    you can see how well it fits your requirements.

  4. Re: File replication - Windows disaster recovery

    Unfortunately it's not my decision to reset the price expectations.
    When I say "cheap", I mean maybe around $1000. Everything I've seen
    runs between $2000 and $4000 and you need 2 copies...one for each
    server. I just need file replication without the bells and whistles
    that's affordable.

    On 14 Jun 2005 06:55:46 -0700, "mf" wrote:

    >You don't want this "cheap solution" to ignore errors and create
    >other problems do you? You might need to reset your price
    >excpectations.

  5. Re: File replication - Windows disaster recovery

    So why don't you list the solutions you've checked out and maybe
    somebody else reading this will identify one or two that you might
    have missed?

  6. Re: File replication - Windows disaster recovery

    I haven't checked out any in the price range I specified because I
    can't seem to find one which is why I'm posting here for
    recommendations. I looked into CA high availability, Veritas,
    Doubletake, IP Replicator but like I said, they're all higher priced
    solutions.

    On 14 Jun 2005 11:25:27 -0700, "mf" wrote:

    >So why don't you list the solutions you've checked out and maybe
    >somebody else reading this will identify one or two that you might
    >have missed?

  7. Re: File replication - Windows disaster recovery

    You can set robocopy to only copy over newer files, with the /XO switch. I
    would create a bat file using the code below, and schedule it to run every
    night starting at say 10 pm? The log+ means append, so if you want a new
    one, take out the +. The first one will take the longest, then it will only
    copy newer files. try it- also, see link for other switches,f or deleting
    older files etc.
    robocopy Y:\source E:\destination /e /r:1 /w:0 /np /xo /log+utput.log

    http://home.earthlink.net/~rlively/M...R/ROBOCOPY.HTM

    --
    Kat
    MCNGP # 29, MCDBA # ? of Millions

    What woud you do for a Kit Kat bar?
    "Rob Turk" <_wipe_me_r.turk@chello.nl> wrote in message
    > "The other Mike" wrote in message
    > >I posted a little while ago concerning failover solutions for a
    > > Windows 2000 server. Unfortunately, budget limitations prohibit the
    > > solutions recommended. So....here's our situation now....have a 2000
    > > member server that needs to be replicated to a seperate server (no
    > > shared storage...just local drives in each and no automatic failover
    > > needed). What needs to be replicated is just files and
    > > directories...very simple. Problem is that these files number about
    > > 1.5 million (very small and change very often). I tried using
    > > Robocopy with the mirror and monitor options but the process takes too
    > > long...I need something that replicates the files as they are written.
    > > Any cheap suggestions?

    > Depending on your future plans, wait for Win2003 'R2' to be released. It

    has
    > a built-in replication service just for this purpose.
    >
    > Rob

  8. Re: File replication - Windows disaster recovery

    Actually I spent the day experimenting with the Win 2003 resource kit
    version of Robocopy....set it up with the /MIR and /MON options and it
    seems to be working really well. Scans thousands of directories and
    about 1.4 million files in about a minute and a half. The /MON option
    keeps it running and starts again 1 minute after it finishes the past
    run. I think this might be our solution.

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 13:17:41 -0700, "Kat" wrote:

    >You can set robocopy to only copy over newer files, with the /XO switch. I
    >would create a bat file using the code below, and schedule it to run every
    >night starting at say 10 pm? The log+ means append, so if you want a new
    >one, take out the +. The first one will take the longest, then it will only
    >copy newer files. try it- also, see link for other switches,f or deleting
    >older files etc.
    >robocopy Y:\source E:\destination /e /r:1 /w:0 /np /xo /log+utput.log
    >

    >http://home.earthlink.net/~rlively/M...R/ROBOCOPY.HTM

+ Reply to Thread