need an off shelf solution for 3 TB storage - Storage

This is a discussion on need an off shelf solution for 3 TB storage - Storage ; Hi Everyone, Is anyone aware of any good RAID software to set up an off shelf storage solution for around 2 -3 TB of space ( probably by stacking 10 of the 250 GB hard drives set up at RAID ...

  1. need an off shelf solution for 3 TB storage

    Hi Everyone,

    Is anyone aware of any good RAID software to set up an off shelf
    storage solution for around 2 -3 TB of space ( probably by stacking 10
    of the 250 GB hard drives set up at RAID level 5 ). I can use an Intel
    server board and a Intel RAID controller card but aint sure of how to
    manage this RAID after the Hardware setup.
    looking for help on the OS selection as well, as I need
    interoperatability with MAC and Windows!!

    Thnx .....

  2. Re: need an off shelf solution for 3 TB storage

    check out software from wasabi systems, falconstor and datacore. They
    might have something for you.

  3. Re: need an off shelf solution for 3 TB storage

    On 13 Jun 2005 14:30:31 -0700, "rookie" wrote:

    >Hi Everyone,
    >
    >Is anyone aware of any good RAID software to set up an off shelf
    >storage solution for around 2 -3 TB of space ( probably by stacking 10
    >of the 250 GB hard drives set up at RAID level 5 ). I can use an Intel
    >server board and a Intel RAID controller card but aint sure of how to
    >manage this RAID after the Hardware setup.
    >looking for help on the OS selection as well, as I need
    >interoperatability with MAC and Windows!!
    >
    >Thnx .....

    Just run your favorite LINUX distribution on it. (But make sure it is
    2.6 kernel). The built-in md device driver performs quite nicely,
    even in RAID5 ode as long as you aren't write intensive.

    Interoperability with Mac & Windows is no problem as samba is built
    in. Can't beat the price at $0.00 either and there are plenty of
    books, classes, and websites that will go into configuration in
    detail.

  4. Re: need an off shelf solution for 3 TB storage

    > >Thnx .....

    > Just run your favorite LINUX distribution on it. (But make sure it is
    > 2.6 kernel). The built-in md device driver performs quite nicely,
    > even in RAID5 ode as long as you aren't write intensive.
    >
    > Interoperability with Mac & Windows is no problem as samba is built
    > in. Can't beat the price at $0.00 either and there are plenty of
    > books, classes, and websites that will go into configuration in
    > detail.

    Samba on Linux as suggested above works if you want NFS access to data.
    If you want SCSI block access to data, then you are looking for
    software that exports a SCSI target/LUN - something SAMBA does not do.

+ Reply to Thread