What is aha2120 doing to a single harddisk? - Storage

This is a discussion on What is aha2120 doing to a single harddisk? - Storage ; Hi all! I like to connect 2 _independent_ disks to aha2120 to make a diskdump from harddisk1 to harddisk3. For this action I obviously have to attach each disk to an individual array to make these disks visible to any ...

  1. What is aha2120 doing to a single harddisk?

    Hi all!

    I like to connect 2 _independent_ disks to aha2120 to make a diskdump
    from harddisk1 to harddisk3.
    For this action I obviously have to attach each disk to an individual
    array to make these disks visible to any os. So, when I attached 2
    disks (hd1 and hd2) to 2 arrays and then replace harddisk2 with
    harddisk3 (exactly same type of disk!) it won't be recognized!

    My question: how can the aha2120-controller recognize this change? Is
    the ID of the originally harddisk saved by the bios or does it write
    any ID to disk?

    My intention: I took hd3 from another system (which crashed) and I
    would like to get a real 1:1 dump of it.

    And: just no other scsi-connection available for this transfer >-(

    Regards,

    Peter

  2. Re: What is aha2120 doing to a single harddisk?

    I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think this controller saves the
    disk ID in its bios, so when you want to replace it with another disk,
    you first need to break the array it was in (removes the disk info from
    the bios) and then recreate the array again with the replacement disk.

    I would do this in four basic steps. 1) power down and remove first
    disk, 2) power on system and break the array 3) power down and insert
    the replacement disk 4) power on system and set up the new array. It
    may come in handy if you write down the device IDs of these drives just
    in case something goes funny during the process and you get confused.

+ Reply to Thread