Sept 3, 2001 WTC Post to this NG - Storage

This is a discussion on Sept 3, 2001 WTC Post to this NG - Storage ; While searching the Google archives I came across this post made to this NG on Sept. 3, 2001 which bears reposting. It's a classic. .... Newsgroups: alt.computer.consultants, alt.disasters.misc, comp.arch.storage From: t...@panix.com (Thor Lancelot Simon) Date: 3 Sep 2001 23:18:28 -0400 ...

  1. Sept 3, 2001 WTC Post to this NG

    While searching the Google archives I came
    across this post made to this NG on
    Sept. 3, 2001 which bears reposting. It's
    a classic.

    Newsgroups: alt.computer.consultants,
    alt.disasters.misc, comp.arch.storage
    From: t...@panix.com (Thor Lancelot Simon)
    Date: 3 Sep 2001 23:18:28 -0400
    Subject: Re: Disaster Stories Needed

    Are you aware of any bombings of datacenters, by
    the Unabomber or anyone else, in the United
    States, in the past ten years?

    How about twenty years?

    How about ever?

    The only thing I can think of that might qualify
    would be to categorize someone's departmental
    servers in the Trade Center as a "datacenter", but
    that kind of scare tactic generally works only on
    the foolish.

    So, anyway, if I catch your drift, you're
    suggesting that the thing to do in order to
    persuade some tightfisted CIO to spring for
    offsite backup is to drop off a copy of
    Kaczinsky's manifesto on his desk. That seems
    like a *great* idea. Why don't you try it and let
    us all know how it works?

    However, next time I'm trying to sell someone
    something, myself, I think I'll pick an example
    that he can actually relate to, like a flood or a
    fire. Maybe I'm just stupid.

    In all fairness I must say that I've read many of
    the writers other works on the net and he's a
    very bright guy who usually gets it right.

  2. Re: Sept 3, 2001 WTC Post to this NG

    In article ,
    Mitch Monger wrote:
    >While searching the Google archives I came
    >across this post made to this NG on
    >Sept. 3, 2001 which bears reposting. It's
    >a classic.

    >Newsgroups: alt.computer.consultants,
    >alt.disasters.misc, comp.arch.storage
    >From: t...@panix.com (Thor Lancelot Simon)
    >Date: 3 Sep 2001 23:18:28 -0400
    >Subject: Re: Disaster Stories Needed
    >
    >Are you aware of any bombings of datacenters, by
    >the Unabomber or anyone else, in the United
    >States, in the past ten years?
    >
    >How about twenty years?
    >
    >How about ever?
    >
    >The only thing I can think of that might qualify
    >would be to categorize someone's departmental
    >servers in the Trade Center as a "datacenter", but
    >that kind of scare tactic generally works only on
    >the foolish.
    >
    >So, anyway, if I catch your drift, you're
    >suggesting that the thing to do in order to
    >persuade some tightfisted CIO to spring for
    >offsite backup is to drop off a copy of
    >Kaczinsky's manifesto on his desk. That seems
    >like a *great* idea. Why don't you try it and let
    >us all know how it works?
    >
    >However, next time I'm trying to sell someone
    >something, myself, I think I'll pick an example
    >that he can actually relate to, like a flood or a
    >fire. Maybe I'm just stupid.

    >In all fairness I must say that I've read many of
    >the writers other works on the net and he's a
    >very bright guy who usually gets it right.

    The guy clearly wasn't watching the news in the 60s and 70s. The big
    one was the computing center in Wisconsin (Madison?). It affexted
    security of every compuer manufacturer and university involved with
    defense work, or even close.

    Up to 1970 severalmainframe manufacturers (Noneywell, RCA and others)
    had street-level showcase datacenters with big windows on the street.
    They immediatly put up curtains and then relocated.

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

  3. Re: Sept 3, 2001 WTC Post to this NG

    >>Are you aware of any bombings of datacenters, by
    >>the Unabomber or anyone else, in the United
    >>States, in the past ten years?
    >>
    >>How about twenty years?
    >>
    >>How about ever?

    <>

    > The guy clearly wasn't watching the news in the 60s and 70s. The big
    > one was the computing center in Wisconsin (Madison?). It affexted
    > security of every compuer manufacturer and university involved with
    > defense work, or even close.
    >
    > Up to 1970 severalmainframe manufacturers (Noneywell, RCA and others)
    > had street-level showcase datacenters with big windows on the street.
    > They immediatly put up curtains and then relocated.

    I was recently reading about an incident where the IRA bombed a bank in
    England back in the day. Turned out a bunch of old backups in one of the
    employee's garages saved the day.

    Reading that old post was almost surreal...

+ Reply to Thread