configuring a SAN - Storage

This is a discussion on configuring a SAN - Storage ; Ok lets try again...This is the first time I am configuring a SAN primarily for consolidating our backups. I have a 2T (8 disks of 250G) SATA-RAID SAN. Now what would be the ideal disk configuration for this server. At ...

  1. configuring a SAN

    Ok lets try again...This is the first time I am configuring a SAN
    primarily for consolidating our backups. I have a 2T (8 disks of 250G)
    SATA-RAID SAN. Now what would be the ideal disk configuration for this
    server. At this point I am lloking at backing up close to 25G (could
    double in next 4-6 months) incrementally on a monthly rotation basis
    with at least one full backup.

    So what would be an ideal disk lay out? I am planning to keep create 4
    volumes with the 4th volume being removable. The plan is something
    similar to tape backup where in I'll have a full backup on the fourth
    volume which stays off site. May be thst ia totally unnecessary or may
    be it is also not possible. Any suggestions or input on that?

  2. Re: configuring a SAN

    U cud try using a Intel 7320V series motherboard which support dual
    Xeon Processors, and an Intel SCRS16 SATA RAID Controller card.... and
    if u have a clue abt the SOFTWARE and the OS which can be used to
    manage it at RAID LEVEL 5 ..... then u can help me

+ Reply to Thread