AIT3 drive won't load tapes - Storage

This is a discussion on AIT3 drive won't load tapes - Storage ; Problem: trying to read some AIT-3 tapes created in a Rorke library. Background: Just got a Sony SDX-700C AIT-3 drive. It passes all diagnostics with flying colors. New tapes written by the Sony diag's are readable (block dumps) to my ...

  1. AIT3 drive won't load tapes

    Problem: trying to read some AIT-3 tapes created in a Rorke library.

    Background: Just got a Sony SDX-700C AIT-3 drive. It passes all
    diagnostics with flying colors. New tapes written by the Sony diag's
    are readable (block dumps) to my software. However, my friend's tapes,
    from a Rorke AIT-3 based library refuse to load in my drive. After
    several minutes of motion (presumably trying to find load-point), the
    drive just turns on the "replace tape" light.

    I've seen it stated in a newsgroup (maybe this one) that certain
    vendors put proprietary compression microcode into AIT drives and their
    tapes can't be read by "standard" drives. (I know from experience that
    was very much the case in the early days of DDS.)

    I just assumed that the drives in the Rorke library would be standard.
    Has anyone run into this? Any suggestions? Thanks.

    Chris

  2. Re: AIT3 drive won't load tapes

    "Chris" wrote in message
    news:1118089078.751951.71670@g44g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    > Problem: trying to read some AIT-3 tapes created in a Rorke library.
    >
    > Background: Just got a Sony SDX-700C AIT-3 drive. It passes all
    > diagnostics with flying colors. New tapes written by the Sony diag's
    > are readable (block dumps) to my software. However, my friend's tapes,
    > from a Rorke AIT-3 based library refuse to load in my drive. After
    > several minutes of motion (presumably trying to find load-point), the
    > drive just turns on the "replace tape" light.
    >
    > I've seen it stated in a newsgroup (maybe this one) that certain
    > vendors put proprietary compression microcode into AIT drives and their
    > tapes can't be read by "standard" drives. (I know from experience that
    > was very much the case in the early days of DDS.)
    >
    > I just assumed that the drives in the Rorke library would be standard.
    > Has anyone run into this? Any suggestions? Thanks.
    >
    > Chris

+ Reply to Thread