Why are all the 5400rpm drives MORE than the 7200's now, if you can even find one?! - Storage

This is a discussion on Why are all the 5400rpm drives MORE than the 7200's now, if you can even find one?! - Storage ; Is this one more example REgress in the name of Progress? Doesn't anybody care about heat anymore? -- __________________________________________________ ___ For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com. Yeah, it's really a real address...

  1. Why are all the 5400rpm drives MORE than the 7200's now, if you can even find one?!

    Is this one more example REgress in the name of Progress? Doesn't anybody
    care about heat anymore?
    For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
    Yeah, it's really a real address

  2. Re: Why are all the 5400rpm drives MORE than the 7200's now, if you can even find one?!

    On Tue, 03 May 2005 04:06:34 -0700,
    see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:

    >Is this one more example REgress in the name of Progress? Doesn't anybody
    >care about heat anymore?

    Sure, but they also have to make things faster and better. My guess
    on the price issue you mention is directly related to the availability
    you mentioned. The more scarce an object the more valuable (usually).

    In this case manufacturers stopped making them, or dropped production
    significantly. This means each unit production costs more than
    something they are producing in larger quantities.

    Supply and demand really.

    ~F

  3. Re: Why are all the 5400rpm drives MORE than the 7200's now, if you can even find one?!

    On Tue, 03 May 2005 20:35:56 GMT, Faeandar spewed:
    >>Is this one more example REgress in the name of Progress? Doesn't anybody
    >>care about heat anymore?

    >Sure, but they also have to make things faster and better. My guess
    >on the price issue you mention is directly related to the availability
    >you mentioned. The more scarce an object the more valuable (usually).
    >
    >In this case manufacturers stopped making them, or dropped production
    >significantly. This means each unit production costs more than
    >something they are producing in larger quantities.
    >
    >Supply and demand really.
    >
    >~F

    I don't doubt that is true. What I don't get, is if they're slower, they
    should be in less demand and cheaper! They should be in that category
    where they have to sell them less than comparably sized drives at 7200 rpm
    with bigger buffers and throughput in order to sell them.
    It's seems to go against supply & demand rules.

    For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
    Yeah, it's really a real address

  4. Re: Why are all the 5400rpm drives MORE than the 7200's now, if you can even find one?!

    see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid writes:
    > So, the question remains where do I find said 5400rpm drives?
    > When I do a search I find like ONE, and it's too small.

    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...oryCode=011002

+ Reply to Thread