Porting code to windows storage server - Storage

This is a discussion on Porting code to windows storage server - Storage ; Hi, We have a windows client application that interacts with an as400 server module to backup the files from the windows box to a tape device. The windows box has several mapped drives of NAS devices running Windows storage server. ...

  1. Porting code to windows storage server

    Hi,

    We have a windows client application that interacts with an as400
    server module to backup the files from the windows box to a tape
    device.
    The windows box has several mapped drives of NAS devices running
    Windows storage server.
    The application is becoming extremely slow when it is trying to access
    the files from these NAS devices. We create a directory tree first and
    that is very slow as well.
    Are there any specific file access or indexing functions for mapped NAS
    files?
    Or is there a way to port some basic code form the normal windows
    client that we have to run on windows storage server?
    I'm very new at this. Any help is appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Shree.

  2. Re: Porting code to windows storage server

    "Shree" wrote in message
    news:1114391995.453979.194270@g14g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > We have a windows client application that interacts with an as400
    > server module to backup the files from the windows box to a tape
    > device.
    > The windows box has several mapped drives of NAS devices running
    > Windows storage server.
    > The application is becoming extremely slow when it is trying to access
    > the files from these NAS devices. We create a directory tree first and
    > that is very slow as well.
    > Are there any specific file access or indexing functions for mapped NAS
    > files?
    > Or is there a way to port some basic code form the normal windows
    > client that we have to run on windows storage server?
    > I'm very new at this. Any help is appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Shree.

    Windows code should run easily on WSS, but this wouldn't be my first choice
    to solve that problem. Are the files on the NAS devices getting
    fragmented? You could try (and set a schedule for) defrag first.

    If defragmenting doesn't help, running the performance monitor on the NAS
    devices and the client could reveal some slowdown.

    Good luck

    Art

+ Reply to Thread