How to make CD bootable in XP Professional? - Storage

This is a discussion on How to make CD bootable in XP Professional? - Storage ; I downloaded Acronis True Image and made a bootable CD as per their program. However, I have no idea if my CD driver is capable of booting the computer. The computer is a new Dell w/XP Pro. Dell no longer ...

  1. How to make CD bootable in XP Professional?

    I downloaded Acronis True Image and made a bootable CD as per their
    program.

    However, I have no idea if my CD driver is capable of booting the
    computer.

    The computer is a new Dell w/XP Pro. Dell no longer gives out a copy of
    the OS with the machine, so I have no idea if my computer is capable of
    booting from any other CD.

    How do I find out if it is? I don't want to sit around with a
    "bootable" disk that my computer cannot use.

    (Yes, I've searched Google, but I don't understand a damn word of those
    articles on the subject.)

    ~

  2. Re: How to make CD bootable in XP Professional?

    A.Melon wrote in message
    news:e41a872f35a7a4e92c4be6fd93f32cc5@melontraffic kers.com...

    > I downloaded Acronis True Image and
    > made a bootable CD as per their program.

    > However, I have no idea if my CD driver
    > is capable of booting the computer.

    Presumably you mean CD drive.

    > The computer is a new Dell w/XP Pro. Dell no longer
    > gives out a copy of the OS with the machine, so I have no
    > idea if my computer is capable of booting from any other CD.

    Corse it is.

    > How do I find out if it is?

    Try booting off it, silly.

    > I don't want to sit around with a "bootable"
    > disk that my computer cannot use.

    > (Yes, I've searched Google, but I don't understand
    > a damn word of those articles on the subject.)

    Even you should be able to manage a more
    viable troll than that pathetic effort, child.

  3. Re: How to make CD bootable in XP Professional?

    > I downloaded Acronis True Image and made a bootable CD as per their
    > program.
    >
    > However, I have no idea if my CD driver is capable of booting the
    > computer.
    >
    > The computer is a new Dell w/XP Pro. Dell no longer gives out a copy of
    > the OS with the machine, so I have no idea if my computer is capable of
    > booting from any other CD.
    >
    > How do I find out if it is? I don't want to sit around with a
    > "bootable" disk that my computer cannot use.
    >
    > (Yes, I've searched Google, but I don't understand a damn word of those
    > articles on the subject.)

    Did you get ANY CDs with your Dell?
    BTW, which Dell model do you have?

  4. Re: How to make CD bootable in XP Professional?

    In article
    "Peter" wrote:

    > > I downloaded Acronis True Image and made a bootable CD as per their
    > > program.
    > >
    > > However, I have no idea if my CD driver is capable of booting the
    > > computer.
    > >
    > > The computer is a new Dell w/XP Pro. Dell no longer gives out a copy of
    > > the OS with the machine, so I have no idea if my computer is capable of
    > > booting from any other CD.
    > >
    > > How do I find out if it is? I don't want to sit around with a
    > > "bootable" disk that my computer cannot use.
    > >
    > > (Yes, I've searched Google, but I don't understand a damn word of those
    > > articles on the subject.)

    > Did you get ANY CDs with your Dell?
    > BTW, which Dell model do you have?

    I did get various discs that are for reinstalling the modem, scanner,
    etc. None say anything about XP Pro.

    I read in another group that Dell has the OS in a hidden file. The
    poster said that Dell told him that if his HD went down, he would have
    to order another drive from Dell, and they would put the OS on it for
    him.

    This is really ridiculous when they do not supply such a crucial
    necessity as a copy of the OS. Of course, it's the fault of the greedy
    bastard in Redmond.

    I have a Dell 8400 w/XP Pro on it.

    By the way, I did put the bootable CD in the drive and it did not boot
    the computer. The computer booted as usual from the C: drive.

    This is *really* ridiculous.

    Acronis gives the option of placing the bootable files on 17 floppies.
    Yeah, I *really* want to do that.

  5. Re: How to make CD bootable in XP Professional?

    "Nomen Nescio" wrote in message
    > In article
    > "Peter" wrote:
    >>
    >> > I downloaded Acronis True Image and made a bootable CD as per their
    >> > program.
    >> >
    >> > However, I have no idea if my CD driver is capable of booting the
    >> > computer.
    >> >
    >> > The computer is a new Dell w/XP Pro. Dell no longer gives out a copy of
    >> > the OS with the machine, so I have no idea if my computer is capable of
    >> > booting from any other CD.
    >> >
    >> > How do I find out if it is? I don't want to sit around with a
    >> > "bootable" disk that my computer cannot use.
    >> >
    >> > (Yes, I've searched Google, but I don't understand a damn word of those
    >> > articles on the subject.)

    >> Did you get ANY CDs with your Dell?
    >> BTW, which Dell model do you have?

    > I did get various discs that are for reinstalling the modem, scanner,
    > etc. None say anything about XP Pro.
    >
    > I read in another group that Dell has the OS in a hidden file. The
    > poster said that Dell told him that if his HD went down, he would have
    > to order another drive from Dell, and they would put the OS on it for
    > him.
    >
    > This is really ridiculous when they do not supply such a crucial
    > necessity as a copy of the OS. Of course, it's the fault of the greedy
    > bastard in Redmond.
    >
    > I have a Dell 8400 w/XP Pro on it.
    >
    > By the way, I did put the bootable CD in the drive and it did not boot
    > the computer. The computer booted as usual from the C: drive.

    You just need to include the CD drive in the boot sequence in the bios.

    > This is *really* ridiculous.

    Nope.

    > Acronis gives the option of placing the bootable files on 17 floppies.
    > Yeah, I *really* want to do that.

    No need except when you dont have a CD drive.

  6. Re: How to make CD bootable in XP Professional?

    > "Peter" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I downloaded Acronis True Image and made a bootable CD as per their
    > > > program.
    > > >
    > > > However, I have no idea if my CD driver is capable of booting the
    > > > computer.
    > > >
    > > > The computer is a new Dell w/XP Pro. Dell no longer gives out a copy

    of
    > > > the OS with the machine, so I have no idea if my computer is capable

    of
    > > > booting from any other CD.
    > > >
    > > > How do I find out if it is? I don't want to sit around with a
    > > > "bootable" disk that my computer cannot use.
    > > >
    > > > (Yes, I've searched Google, but I don't understand a damn word of

    those
    > > > articles on the subject.)

    > > Did you get ANY CDs with your Dell?
    > > BTW, which Dell model do you have?

    > I did get various discs that are for reinstalling the modem, scanner,
    > etc. None say anything about XP Pro.
    >
    > I read in another group that Dell has the OS in a hidden file. The
    > poster said that Dell told him that if his HD went down, he would have
    > to order another drive from Dell, and they would put the OS on it for
    > him.
    >
    > This is really ridiculous when they do not supply such a crucial
    > necessity as a copy of the OS. Of course, it's the fault of the greedy
    > bastard in Redmond.
    >
    > I have a Dell 8400 w/XP Pro on it.
    >
    > By the way, I did put the bootable CD in the drive and it did not boot
    > the computer. The computer booted as usual from the C: drive.
    >
    > This is *really* ridiculous.
    >
    > Acronis gives the option of placing the bootable files on 17 floppies.
    > Yeah, I *really* want to do that.

    Method 1:
    ---------------------
    When your computer boots up press F12
    Select CD ROM to boot from

    Method 2:
    ---------------------
    When your computer boots up press F2
    Check what settings you have in Drives section,
    do you see CD ROM there?
    If not, change appropriate value.
    If yes, check Boot Sequence section. Is CD-ROM listed
    above Hard Drive? If not, change sequence.

    read pages 111-117 on:
    http://support.dell.com/support/edoc.../U70350LRs.pdf

  7. Re: How to make CD bootable in XP Professional?

    Look in BIOS setup screens, the chapter "Boot"

    --
    Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
    StorageCraft Corporation

    "A.Melon" wrote in message
    news:e41a872f35a7a4e92c4be6fd93f32cc5@melontraffic kers.com...
    > I downloaded Acronis True Image and made a bootable CD as per their
    > program.
    >
    > However, I have no idea if my CD driver is capable of booting the
    > computer.
    >
    > The computer is a new Dell w/XP Pro. Dell no longer gives out a copy of
    > the OS with the machine, so I have no idea if my computer is capable of
    > booting from any other CD.
    >
    > How do I find out if it is? I don't want to sit around with a
    > "bootable" disk that my computer cannot use.
    >
    > (Yes, I've searched Google, but I don't understand a damn word of those
    > articles on the subject.)
    >
    > ~

  8. Re: How to make CD bootable in XP Professional?

    > This is really ridiculous when they do not supply such a crucial
    > necessity as a copy of the OS. Of course, it's the fault of the greedy
    > bastard in Redmond.

    Microsoft is responsible for Dell's faults?

    Really funny, thanks

    --
    Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
    StorageCraft Corporation
    maxim@storagecraft.com
    http://www.storagecraft.com

  9. Re: How to make CD bootable in XP Professional?

    Nomen Nescio wrote:

    >> Did you get ANY CDs with your Dell?
    >> BTW, which Dell model do you have?

    >I did get various discs that are for reinstalling the modem, scanner,
    >etc. None say anything about XP Pro.

    Hmm... I just had a "friend" (actually a hot woman) ask me to help
    her fix (read: wipe and reinstall) her Dell. I was wanting to do
    her^H^H^Hit, but it looks like I may not be able to, eh?

  10. Re: How to make CD bootable in XP Professional?

    U have to get into ur setup through the bios.
    First , if ur switched off , switch on comp and press F2 u should see a
    page that will tell u how to do this . If its not F2 then try F8.
    If this doesnt help email me and ill try to help more

    Rgards Steve (turk2045.)
    savers200@hotmail.co.uk

  11. Re: How to make CD bootable in XP Professional?

    > MS is a master at cheating customers with crapware. Their faulty OS,
    > full of holes and conflicts.

    No conflicts at all, best security patch distribution policy, best usability,
    best hardware support, no architectural holes (only bugs due to developer's
    attention problem), best development tools etc.

    --
    Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
    StorageCraft Corporation
    maxim@storagecraft.com
    http://www.storagecraft.com

  12. Re: How to make CD bootable in XP Professional?

    In article
    "Peter" wrote:

    > of

    > of

    > those
    > > >
    > > > Did you get ANY CDs with your Dell?
    > > > BTW, which Dell model do you have?

    > > I did get various discs that are for reinstalling the modem, scanner,
    > > etc. None say anything about XP Pro.
    > >
    > > I read in another group that Dell has the OS in a hidden file. The
    > > poster said that Dell told him that if his HD went down, he would have
    > > to order another drive from Dell, and they would put the OS on it for
    > > him.
    > >
    > > This is really ridiculous when they do not supply such a crucial
    > > necessity as a copy of the OS. Of course, it's the fault of the greedy
    > > bastard in Redmond.
    > >
    > > I have a Dell 8400 w/XP Pro on it.
    > >
    > > By the way, I did put the bootable CD in the drive and it did not boot
    > > the computer. The computer booted as usual from the C: drive.
    > >
    > > This is *really* ridiculous.
    > >
    > > Acronis gives the option of placing the bootable files on 17 floppies.
    > > Yeah, I *really* want to do that.

    > Method 1:
    > ---------------------
    > When your computer boots up press F12
    > Select CD ROM to boot from
    >
    > Method 2:
    > ---------------------
    > When your computer boots up press F2
    > Check what settings you have in Drives section,
    > do you see CD ROM there?
    > If not, change appropriate value.
    > If yes, check Boot Sequence section. Is CD-ROM listed
    > above Hard Drive? If not, change sequence.
    >
    > read pages 111-117 on:
    > http://support.dell.com/support/edoc.../U70350LRs.pdf

    From what I saw when using the F12 key, the sequence in which the
    machine looks through is:

    1. Floppy
    2. SATA C: drive
    3. IDE C: drive
    4. CD-ROM

    If this is the case, why should I worry about changing it?

    If I'm understanding this, if it does not find an OS on any of the
    first three, it will go to the CD drive. Or am I misunderstanding this?

    By the way, thanks for sticking with me through my ignorance. I do
    appreciate your patience.

  13. Re: How to make CD bootable in XP Professional?

    > In article

    >> of

    >> of

    >> those

    >> > I did get various discs that are for reinstalling the modem, scanner,
    >> > etc. None say anything about XP Pro.
    >> >
    >> > I read in another group that Dell has the OS in a hidden file. The
    >> > poster said that Dell told him that if his HD went down, he would have
    >> > to order another drive from Dell, and they would put the OS on it for
    >> > him.
    >> >
    >> > This is really ridiculous when they do not supply such a crucial
    >> > necessity as a copy of the OS. Of course, it's the fault of the greedy
    >> > bastard in Redmond.
    >> >
    >> > I have a Dell 8400 w/XP Pro on it.
    >> >
    >> > By the way, I did put the bootable CD in the drive and it did not boot
    >> > the computer. The computer booted as usual from the C: drive.
    >> >
    >> > This is *really* ridiculous.
    >> >
    >> > Acronis gives the option of placing the bootable files on 17 floppies.
    >> > Yeah, I *really* want to do that.

    >> Method 1:
    >> ---------------------
    >> When your computer boots up press F12
    >> Select CD ROM to boot from
    >>
    >> Method 2:
    >> ---------------------
    >> When your computer boots up press F2
    >> Check what settings you have in Drives section,
    >> do you see CD ROM there?
    >> If not, change appropriate value.
    >> If yes, check Boot Sequence section. Is CD-ROM listed
    >> above Hard Drive? If not, change sequence.
    >>
    >> read pages 111-117 on:
    >> http://support.dell.com/support/edoc.../U70350LRs.pdf

    > From what I saw when using the F12 key, the sequence in which the
    > machine looks through is:
    >
    > 1. Floppy
    > 2. SATA C: drive
    > 3. IDE C: drive
    > 4. CD-ROM

    > If this is the case, why should I worry about changing it?

    Because it wont boot off the CD unless none
    that are higher in the list are bootable.

    > If I'm understanding this, if it does not find an OS on any of the
    > first three, it will go to the CD drive. Or am I misunderstanding this?

    Thats correct, but that is an unusual situation with a system
    thats been used at all, so it will never boot off the CD.

    > By the way, thanks for sticking with me through
    > my ignorance. I do appreciate your patience.

  14. Re: How to make CD bootable in XP Professional?

    > > Method 1:
    > > ---------------------
    > > When your computer boots up press F12
    > > Select CD ROM to boot from
    > >
    > > Method 2:
    > > ---------------------
    > > When your computer boots up press F2
    > > Check what settings you have in Drives section,
    > > do you see CD ROM there?
    > > If not, change appropriate value.
    > > If yes, check Boot Sequence section. Is CD-ROM listed
    > > above Hard Drive? If not, change sequence.
    > >
    > > read pages 111-117 on:

    http://support.dell.com/support/edoc.../U70350LRs.pdf

    > From what I saw when using the F12 key, the sequence in which the
    > machine looks through is:
    >
    > 1. Floppy
    > 2. SATA C: drive
    > 3. IDE C: drive
    > 4. CD-ROM
    >
    > If this is the case, why should I worry about changing it?
    >
    > If I'm understanding this, if it does not find an OS on any of the
    > first three, it will go to the CD drive. Or am I misunderstanding this?
    >
    > By the way, thanks for sticking with me through my ignorance. I do
    > appreciate your patience.

    The purpose of using F12 is to see a SELECTION list from which
    you can choose how to perform a CURRENT BOOT ONLY,
    not to see a boot sequence order.

    Boot order you can see/change after hitting F2 (System Setup) and
    selecting a Boot Sequence menu option.

    What your Boot Sequence says?

  15. Re: How to make CD bootable in XP Professional?

    chrisv wrote:

    >Nomen Nescio wrote:
    >
    >>> Did you get ANY CDs with your Dell?
    >>> BTW, which Dell model do you have?

    >>I did get various discs that are for reinstalling the modem, scanner,
    >>etc. None say anything about XP Pro.

    >Hmm... I just had a "friend" (actually a hot woman) ask me to help
    >her fix (read: wipe and reinstall) her Dell. I was wanting to do
    >her^H^H^Hit, but it looks like I may not be able to, eh?

    Update: Her cheap Dell*, bought about a year ago, does indeed have
    the XP disk included.

    *What a wretched machine. Celeron 2.0, 15" CRT, and only 128M of DDR!
    Why do people buy computers without consulting someone who has a clue
    first?

    Anyway, I'm going to bump her up to 512M, throw-in a Northwood 2.2
    that I had collecting dust, and do the fresh XP install. I think
    she'll be amazed at the improvement. 8)

+ Reply to Thread