Read-only access to FAT32/NTFS files w/ write locks? - Storage

This is a discussion on Read-only access to FAT32/NTFS files w/ write locks? - Storage ; Hello, In my application that I'm writing in C++ (and maybe Java), specifically the cygwin flavor of C++, I want to be able to open any existing files in FAT32 or NTFS file systems (in Windows XP) for read-only purposes. ...

  1. Read-only access to FAT32/NTFS files w/ write locks?

    Hello,

    In my application that I'm writing in C++ (and maybe Java),
    specifically the cygwin flavor of C++, I want to be able to open any
    existing files in FAT32 or NTFS file systems (in Windows XP) for
    read-only purposes. In particular, I want my program to
    unconditionally be able to read-only open any file--and be able to
    read all the contents from said fail--which has been marked with any
    sort of "exclusionary" lock, including write locks or any other kind
    of locks.

    Is this possible? Are there any "exclusionary" locks or scenarios
    where in WinXP (with either FAT32 or NTFS files) that might prevent
    another process from opening a file in read-only mode?

    The only case I have experience: using cygwin to unset all file
    permissions (including the "read" bit(s)) in an NTFS file system, in
    which case non-Administrator processes (presumably) will not be able
    to read the file.

    Thanks for any help,
    -Matt

    --
    Remove the "downwithspammers-" text to email me.

  2. Re: Read-only access to FAT32/NTFS files w/ write locks?

    Snapshots help a lot.

    --
    Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
    StorageCraft Corporation

    "Matt" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > In my application that I'm writing in C++ (and maybe Java),
    > specifically the cygwin flavor of C++, I want to be able to open any
    > existing files in FAT32 or NTFS file systems (in Windows XP) for
    > read-only purposes. In particular, I want my program to
    > unconditionally be able to read-only open any file--and be able to
    > read all the contents from said fail--which has been marked with any
    > sort of "exclusionary" lock, including write locks or any other kind
    > of locks.
    >
    > Is this possible? Are there any "exclusionary" locks or scenarios
    > where in WinXP (with either FAT32 or NTFS files) that might prevent
    > another process from opening a file in read-only mode?
    >
    > The only case I have experience: using cygwin to unset all file
    > permissions (including the "read" bit(s)) in an NTFS file system, in
    > which case non-Administrator processes (presumably) will not be able
    > to read the file.
    >
    > Thanks for any help,
    > -Matt
    >
    > --
    > Remove the "downwithspammers-" text to email me.

  3. Re: Read-only access to FAT32/NTFS files w/ write locks?

    Matt wrote:
    [a Windows-specific question]

    This is off-topic for clc++. Followups set.

    Kristo

+ Reply to Thread