Checking SAN connectivity ? (sun and CX600) - Storage

This is a discussion on Checking SAN connectivity ? (sun and CX600) - Storage ; I was told by the patching team that the SAN cables are connected to the server and CX600. The said system is a Sun V440 with 2 X Emulex LP9002L HBA. Is there any way to verify SAN connectivity on ...

  1. Checking SAN connectivity ? (sun and CX600)

    I was told by the patching team that the SAN cables are connected to
    the server and CX600.

    The said system is a Sun V440 with 2 X Emulex LP9002L HBA.

    Is there any way to verify SAN connectivity on the Sun server like
    maybe a ping on regular network?

    Regards,
    ubergoonz

  2. Re: Checking SAN connectivity ? (sun and CX600)

    "ubergoonz" wrote in message
    news:1113983860.840615.293050@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
    >I was told by the patching team that the SAN cables are connected to
    > the server and CX600.
    >
    > The said system is a Sun V440 with 2 X Emulex LP9002L HBA.
    >
    > Is there any way to verify SAN connectivity on the Sun server like
    > maybe a ping on regular network?
    >
    > Regards,
    > ubergoonz

    Use the lputil (or lputil64) utility that came with your Emulex drivers.
    From there you can identify the WWN's visible to the adapter.

    Rob

  3. Re: Checking SAN connectivity ? (sun and CX600)

    which command under lputil?

    I tried a few and not sure which is the correct one to check,

  4. Re: Checking SAN connectivity ? (sun and CX600)

    "ubergoonz" wrote in message
    news:1113988637.874373.138820@g14g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > which command under lputil?
    >
    > I tried a few and not sure which is the correct one to check,

    It's somewhere under the 'persistent binding' menu, you can list all visible
    WWN's there. I don't have access to a machine to try it out, sorry..

    Rob

  5. Re: Checking SAN connectivity ? (sun and CX600)

    On 20 Apr 2005 02:17:17 -0700, "ubergoonz"
    wrote:

    >which command under lputil?
    >
    >I tried a few and not sure which is the correct one to check,

    Sysadmin magazine also had an article about a tool called fping, which
    supposedly does exactly what you are asking for. Check their site, it
    should be available for download.

    ~F

  6. Re: Checking SAN connectivity ? (sun and CX600)

    I'd check these areas :

    - Zoning. Log into your fibre switches and ensure zoning is configured,
    here's roughly how it works on Brocade !
    Find out which ports on the switch the host hba and clariion sp is
    plugged into !
    # telnet switch
    Run the following command to list wwns of connected devices
    # switchshow
    Then create zoning to allow host hba to see clariion sp throught the
    SAN.
    > alicreate "clariion_sp", "50:05:08:B2:00:79:91:62"
    > alicreate "host_hba", "50:05:08:B2:00:7E:03:F2"
    > zonecreate "z_hostname", "host_hba"
    > zoneadd "z_hostname", "clariion_sp"
    > cfgadd "config", "z_hostname"
    > cfgenable "config"

    - Clariion
    Using navicli or navisphere list hba's that the clariion is aware of :-
    # navicli -h getall -hba
    And search for the WWN of your Sun server.

    - Host
    It looks like you will be able to sort out the lputil bit, but looking
    at the output of 'prtconf -v' to see drivers bound to devices can be
    useful and also checking
    /var/adm/messages to see messages written to syslog by the hba driver.

    Ben

  7. Re: Checking SAN connectivity ? (sun and CX600)

    You can also check on you switch to see if the switch port that your
    emulex card connected to show connection. Then you can also make sure
    that both are in the same Zone.

    V2

+ Reply to Thread