Permanently Map a Share - Storage

This is a discussion on Permanently Map a Share - Storage ; Hi, I've searched this forum, Googled, search MS' web site, asked the our windows admins too. I have a CIFS share on a NAS appliance. I can map that share as a drive, but when I log off the server, ...

  1. Permanently Map a Share

    Hi,

    I've searched this forum, Googled, search MS' web site, asked the our
    windows admins too.

    I have a CIFS share on a NAS appliance. I can map that share as a
    drive, but when I log off the server, the drive ampping goes away, as
    it should.

    How can I make this mapping permanent? I can setup up NFS mounts that
    are always there, why can't I do a similar thing in Windows?

    TIA,

    Mark

  2. Re: Permanently Map a Share

    We've had the same issue before with CIFS, and found that there are a
    couple of ways to accomplish this, but most of the solutions are hacks.

    One way is to create a service account, that logs onto the box at boot
    with "net use" command in his login script. There are also some
    NFS-for-windows tools that will accomplish this if you change the share
    to NFS.

    The best way, IMHO, is if your NAS device supports iSCSI shares (like
    the EMC Celerra does), and use the MS iSCSI driver.

    Other than that, I don't have any ideas-- but then again, I try to
    limit how much I work with windows...

    Aaron

+ Reply to Thread