LVD 160/320 SCSI: termination or dead disk drive? - Storage

This is a discussion on LVD 160/320 SCSI: termination or dead disk drive? - Storage ; Hi, I have the Tekram SCSI controller and a small cable shipped together with it. The cable is short, absolutely symmetrical and has 2 absolutely same connectors on both end. No visible terminators. Also I have a 68-to-80 pin adapter. ...

  1. LVD 160/320 SCSI: termination or dead disk drive?

    Hi,

    I have the Tekram SCSI controller and a small cable shipped together with
    it. The cable is short, absolutely symmetrical and has 2 absolutely same
    connectors on both end. No visible terminators.

    Also I have a 68-to-80 pin adapter.

    Also I have a 80pin drive, which is claimed to be Seagate Cheetan by the
    people who sold me it, has the words of "Hewlett-Packard", 73GB and 10.000 rpm
    on it. It is identified in INQUIRY data as being Compaq one. The mfg date is at
    least year 2004, not older.

    Problems:
    - on boot, the adapter's BIOS shows INQUIRY data OK, but no CHS values for a
    disk
    - FreeBSD says "da0: attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Logical
    unit not ready, cause n". Yes, small Latin "n".
    - Windows boots fine, shows the disk in Device Manager, but not in Disk
    Management!
    - some old Windows command-line disk benchmarking tool I used for years fails
    on this disk with "cannot query size" error.

    Can this be due to bad termination? Must I switch the jumpers on the drive?
    Or is the drive dead completely?

    --
    Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
    StorageCraft Corporation

  2. Re: LVD 160/320 SCSI: termination or dead disk drive?

    You'll have to terminate the drive externally. SCA drives don't have
    built in termination.

  3. Re: LVD 160/320 SCSI: termination or dead disk drive?

    Thanks, I have solved the problem. The drive was really dead. Putting it in
    surely-working machine with surely-working cable and surely-working Adaptec did
    not cause anything good. The drive was responding to INQUIRY only, trying to do
    low-level format from Adaptec's BIOS failed.

    So, I exchanged the drive in the shop.

    --

    "RPR" wrote in message
    news:1113414114.476165.139740@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
    > You'll have to terminate the drive externally. SCA drives don't have
    > built in termination.

+ Reply to Thread