Booting to a sata Hardrive - Storage

This is a discussion on Booting to a sata Hardrive - Storage ; Ok im rather new to SATA hardrives and recently purchased a new comptuer with a single SATA (WD 80GB) hardrive, the motherboard is a chaintech summit motherboard s1689 ULi M1689 Nforce4. http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/p...o=13&PISNo=319 the bios in the drive is a phoenix ...

  1. Booting to a sata Hardrive

    Ok im rather new to SATA hardrives and recently purchased a new
    comptuer with a single SATA (WD 80GB) hardrive, the motherboard is a
    chaintech summit motherboard s1689 ULi M1689 Nforce4.
    http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/p...o=13&PISNo=319

    the bios in the drive is a phoenix award 6.00 PG
    anyways like i said im rather new to these drives and wasnt quiet
    sure how to even go about isntalling windows XP on one. when i first
    plugged the drive in and booted of my windows XP pro corporate repack
    cd with SP2 included, the installer didnt even recognize that i had a
    hardrive, ive read around and learned that you dont need the raid
    driver included in the CD with the motherboard if you are installing on
    just a single drive as the raid mode is disabled when it detects only
    one drive.
    anyways what i ended up doing is, after poking around in the BIOS,
    is turn on the sata submode from mass storage to ide mode (or something
    along those lines) and after that windows detected the drive and
    installed on it perfectly.
    now comes my problem though, in the BIOS i have the boot sequence
    set as cd then hardrive, and when my computer boots, unless it has the
    windows cd in the drive i will get a disk boot failure, however if i
    have the windows cd in there, after it asks me to press any key to boot
    from the cd, and i dont, it will boot fine! this has totaly stumped me,
    odviously i dont want to have to have the windows cd in my only cd rom
    drive everytime i boot, so if anyone could please please help me i
    would really apreciate it, thanks.

    Paridoth

  2. Re: Booting to a sata Hardrive

    as a note i recently went into the bios and looked up exactly what the
    option was that i had to switch to get the windows setup to recognize
    the drive. "SATA Sub-class code" the options are "other mass storage"
    and "IDE
    controller"

  3. Re: Booting to a sata Hardrive

    On 8 Apr 2005 18:32:12 -0700, Paridoth@gmail.com wrote:

    > anyways like i said im rather new to these drives and wasnt quiet
    >sure how to even go about isntalling windows XP on one. when i first
    >plugged the drive in and booted of my windows XP pro corporate repack
    >cd with SP2 included, the installer didnt even recognize that i had a
    >hardrive,
    >
    >Paridoth

    The boot process is touchy. WinXP before the service packs didn't
    even know how to install to a partition larger than 137Gigs. I keep
    my boot partitions small, and I use them only for programs--no data--
    so they can be imaged easily (see below). And so you could load
    a new operating system easily.

    Personally, I'd avoid booting to SATA for the moment. I always
    try to config boot drives as the most reliable, most standard, and
    often the slowest (for heat) drives in the system. System partitions
    don't need to be huge, so even if you booted to a 30GB ATA
    drive partition, you'd have enough space for installing lots of apps.
    Make it 40 or 50 if you think Microsoft is working on a next-gen
    pig of an operating system (but what are the chances of that?)

    Once the boot partition is running, THEN you can worry about getting
    SATA drivers up. After SATA is around for a while the situation may
    change.

    I also try to use a standard ATA drive for imaging the system
    partition (see Norton Ghost, Drive Image, Acronis, etc). If the
    boot partition fails, you should be able to get to your image drive
    with a bare-bones system. IOW, I wouldn't count on retrieving
    an image via USB/Firewire/network without driver support--
    which may not be there on a minimal boot.

    I'm using the term 'image' to denote the (usually) compressed
    bit-by-bit partition copy that's created by the programs mentioned.

    In case you're not familiar, your boot partition needs to be
    'imaged'. A simple backup program will probably not work,
    as driver files are often represented in the registry (and at
    boot time) by their shortened file names (8 chars + 3 ext,
    usually like "Shorte~1.drv").

    Those names are often recreated on the fly when a file
    is copied. If the short file name changes, the boot can
    fail. It may look like the system is working, but fail much
    later when an obscure driver is needed.

    Another idea: As soon as you set up your boot partition,
    make an exact copy on another drive (see utils above).
    If your system drive fails, plug in the second drive. That
    should load enough drivers to give access to your latest
    backup image.

    Most imaging programs allow you to create a bootable
    CD for recovery. I create them, but I've never trust that
    approach.

    _R

  4. Re: Booting to a sata Hardrive

    Why not select emulation of the legacy IDE (or whatever it is) in the SATA section of the BIOS ?
    It has always worked for me.

    Paridoth@gmail.com wrote:
    > Ok im rather new to SATA hardrives and recently purchased a new
    > comptuer with a single SATA (WD 80GB) hardrive, the motherboard is a
    > chaintech summit motherboard s1689 ULi M1689 Nforce4.
    > http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/p...o=13&PISNo=319
    >
    > the bios in the drive is a phoenix award 6.00 PG
    > anyways like i said im rather new to these drives and wasnt quiet
    > sure how to even go about isntalling windows XP on one. when i first
    > plugged the drive in and booted of my windows XP pro corporate repack
    > cd with SP2 included, the installer didnt even recognize that i had a
    > hardrive, ive read around and learned that you dont need the raid
    > driver included in the CD with the motherboard if you are installing on
    > just a single drive as the raid mode is disabled when it detects only
    > one drive.
    > anyways what i ended up doing is, after poking around in the BIOS,
    > is turn on the sata submode from mass storage to ide mode (or something
    > along those lines) and after that windows detected the drive and
    > installed on it perfectly.
    > now comes my problem though, in the BIOS i have the boot sequence
    > set as cd then hardrive, and when my computer boots, unless it has the
    > windows cd in the drive i will get a disk boot failure, however if i
    > have the windows cd in there, after it asks me to press any key to boot
    > from the cd, and i dont, it will boot fine! this has totaly stumped me,
    > odviously i dont want to have to have the windows cd in my only cd rom
    > drive everytime i boot, so if anyone could please please help me i
    > would really apreciate it, thanks.
    >
    > Paridoth

  5. Re: Booting to a sata Hardrive

    On some mobos like Asus P5P800 (865PE chipset) this causes the 2 SATA
    channels to become inter-dependent and unable to operate in parallel with one
    another. All like 2 devices on usual ATA cable.

    --
    Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
    StorageCraft Corporation

    "Yura Pismerov" wrote in message

    > Why not select emulation of the legacy IDE (or whatever it is) in the SATA

    section of the BIOS ?
    > It has always worked for me.
    >
    > Paridoth@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Ok im rather new to SATA hardrives and recently purchased a new
    > > comptuer with a single SATA (WD 80GB) hardrive, the motherboard is a
    > > chaintech summit motherboard s1689 ULi M1689 Nforce4.
    > > http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/p...o=13&PISNo=319
    > >
    > > the bios in the drive is a phoenix award 6.00 PG
    > > anyways like i said im rather new to these drives and wasnt quiet
    > > sure how to even go about isntalling windows XP on one. when i first
    > > plugged the drive in and booted of my windows XP pro corporate repack
    > > cd with SP2 included, the installer didnt even recognize that i had a
    > > hardrive, ive read around and learned that you dont need the raid
    > > driver included in the CD with the motherboard if you are installing on
    > > just a single drive as the raid mode is disabled when it detects only
    > > one drive.
    > > anyways what i ended up doing is, after poking around in the BIOS,
    > > is turn on the sata submode from mass storage to ide mode (or something
    > > along those lines) and after that windows detected the drive and
    > > installed on it perfectly.
    > > now comes my problem though, in the BIOS i have the boot sequence
    > > set as cd then hardrive, and when my computer boots, unless it has the
    > > windows cd in the drive i will get a disk boot failure, however if i
    > > have the windows cd in there, after it asks me to press any key to boot
    > > from the cd, and i dont, it will boot fine! this has totaly stumped me,
    > > odviously i dont want to have to have the windows cd in my only cd rom
    > > drive everytime i boot, so if anyone could please please help me i
    > > would really apreciate it, thanks.
    > >
    > > Paridoth

+ Reply to Thread