Converting Fat32 to NTFS - Storage

This is a discussion on Converting Fat32 to NTFS - Storage ; Want to convert 2nd hard drive to NTFS. Currently is set as Fat32. Will I lose data doing this ? Will applications that run under Fat32 run under NTFS ? More importantly what applications that run under Fat32 will not ...

  1. Converting Fat32 to NTFS

    Want to convert 2nd hard drive to NTFS.
    Currently is set as Fat32.
    Will I lose data doing this ?
    Will applications that run under Fat32 run under NTFS ?
    More importantly what applications that run under
    Fat32 will not run under NTFS ?
    Thank you for your assistance

    --
    daveiosys

  2. Re: Converting Fat32 to NTFS

    Practically all Windows apps - even including MS's server software - run
    fine on FAT. The compatibility is neary 100%.
    Converting the volume is trivial by using MS's CONVERT tool in the command
    line. No data losses.
    NTFS is noticeable slower on update operations which involve lots of small
    files, but its advantages a) it is a JFS - so, fault tolerance b) it supports
    files > 4GB c) it supports on-disk ACLs - more security d) it supports
    compression and encryption, the latter can be very important.
    If these a) - d) points are important for you - then go NTFS. If not - then
    stay on FAT.

    --
    Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
    StorageCraft Corporation

    "daveiosys" wrote in message

    > Want to convert 2nd hard drive to NTFS.
    > Currently is set as Fat32.
    > Will I lose data doing this ?
    > Will applications that run under Fat32 run under NTFS ?
    > More importantly what applications that run under
    > Fat32 will not run under NTFS ?
    > Thank you for your assistance.
    >

    > --
    > daveiosys