VxVM-3.5 "vxplex" question - Storage

This is a discussion on VxVM-3.5 "vxplex" question - Storage ; Hey. I'm in a situation in which I'm having to bone up on a bunch of VxVM stuff w/o access to a system: doing it all by reading Veritas manuals and SunOS/VxVM man-pages on the web, and taking notes (which ...

  1. VxVM-3.5 "vxplex" question

    Hey.

    I'm in a situation in which I'm having to bone up on a bunch of VxVM
    stuff w/o access to a system: doing it all by reading Veritas manuals
    and SunOS/VxVM man-pages on the web, and taking notes (which helps me
    learn). A few weeks ago, I looked for Veritas-dedicated Usenet groups
    and found none (on Google groups); so, I'm sending to y'all in the hope
    that a bunch of VxVM experts contribute here. If you think there's a
    better place for me to ask my VxVM questions, please let me know.

    One big catch, to my studying the way I am, is the typical
    inconsistencies in the ways the documentation-writers have expressed
    the various concepts and meanings of things, plus the holes (the things
    they mostly or completely leave out). Right now, here's the thing
    that's bothering me most:

    Looking at the VxVM-3.5 Admin Guide (PDF) and at the vxmend(1M) and
    vxplex(1M) man-pages from docs.sun.com, it is *VERY* unclear as to the
    distinction between "detaching a plex", as with the command "vxplex det
    ", and "offlining a plex", as with the command "vxmend off
    ". It is clear that the latter changes the plex's "STATE"
    (vxprint output) to "OFFLINE" but it is *not* clear that the former
    does not also do so, or, if not, what "STATE" the former does change
    the STATE to.

    I *do* understand about following up "vxmend off" (STATE set to
    OFFLINE) with "vxplex att" (STATE set to STALE) and then "vxvol start"
    (by hand or during reboot) to get the plex back up & running with the
    rest of its volume's components. But would/could I ever use "vxmend
    off" and "vxplex det" for precisely the same situation and intentions,
    or must I use "vxmend off" for one set of situations and "vxplex att"
    for a completely different set of situations; or are some situations
    different and others overlap?

    TIA for anybody's help with this!!!

    #####################
    John Reed Avery
    john.r.av...@gmail.com
    KNOW THYSELF
    aude sapere
    ---------------------------------
    Check out:
    http://www.ThisIsTrue.com/
    http://www.StellaAwards.com/
    http://www.HeroicStories.com/

  2. Re: VxVM-3.5 "vxplex" question

    Well everybody, I think I figured it out on my own. It was right there
    in front of me the entire time but it was expressed as two separate and
    casual comments, amongst a bunch of other info. According to each the
    VxVM-3.5 Admin Guide and the VxVM-4.0 Admin Guide:

    * When you do a "vxmend off" command, the plex's STATE
    (vxprint output) is set to OFFLINE and the plex is *not*
    automatically recovered upon the next reboot or the next manual running
    of the "vxvol start" command.

    * When you do a "vxplex det" command, the plex's STATE
    (vxprint output) is set to STALE and the plex *is* automatically
    recovered upon the next reboot or the next manual running of the "vxvol
    start" command.

    Thanks and sorry for wasting the bandwidth. :-/

    --JRA

+ Reply to Thread