set-up advice - Storage

This is a discussion on set-up advice - Storage ; Hello I've just bought a Maxtor diamondmax plus 9, 250GB, SATA/150, HDD and want to use it for storage and don't really have much of a clue how to set it up. This is my set up now if this ...

  1. set-up advice

    Hello

    I've just bought a Maxtor diamondmax plus 9, 250GB, SATA/150, HDD and want
    to use it for storage and don't really have much of a clue how to set it up.

    This is my set up now if this helps

    Primary IDE connector........80GB Maxtor ATA/133 HDD
    Secondary IDE connector.. CD/RW with DVD Drive slaved

    My motherboard doesn't have a SATA connection so I'll buy a SATA PCI card
    "which one?
    And that's where I get lost.

    Should I ;
    Primary IDE connector.....80GB ATA HDD as master + DVD/RW as slave
    SATA PCI card...............250GB SATA HDD as master + CD/RW as slave if
    possible, if not could I put it on the secondary IDE connector?

    So to summarize;
    I've got (two IDE slots) and will have (SATA PCI card) and best set-up with,

    250GB SATA HDD
    80GB ATA HDD
    CD/RW
    DVD/RW

    --
    Regards
    p.mc

    For personal replies please leave or type signature
    "p.mc" In the body of the message otherwise
    posts will not be received.
    Thanks

  2. Re: set-up advice

    On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 05:14:43 +0000 (UTC), "p.mc" reply@btinter****e.com> wrote:

    >250GB SATA HDD

    Just to warn you, you're getting no benefit from the extra expense of
    the SATA controller and more expensive SATA drive. I would have
    bought the biggest PATA drive I could for that price instead.

    >80GB ATA HDD
    >CD/RW
    >DVD/RW

    Where you put what doesn't really matter. If it were my system,
    though, I'd put the HDD on the first channel and the opticals on the
    second channel. The optical drive I planned to use boot disks on
    (likely the DVD) I'd probably make master. The reasons for this have
    disappeared. It usually doesn't matter on a modern, decent system.

  3. Re: set-up advice

    "Curious George" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 05:14:43 +0000 (UTC), "p.mc" > reply@btinter****e.com> wrote:
    >

    > >250GB SATA HDD

    > Just to warn you, you're getting no benefit from the extra expense of
    > the SATA controller and more expensive SATA drive. I would have
    > bought the biggest PATA drive I could for that price instead.

    ----snip----

    That's the funny thing, I thought I did, but I didn't try to install it
    'till five months after I bought it from Dabs online, and they would
    probably laugh if I asked to swap it.

    Maxtor DiamondMax plus 9 ATA 80GB HDD.......My original
    Maxtor DiamondMax plus 9 SATA 250GB HDD...Bought for storage
    Moral of story..Less haste,less waste..What's in an "S" ....About
    115..Aaargh!!
    Plus 40 PCI card ..Tee hee!!

    Cheers
    pmc

    > >80GB ATA HDD
    > >CD/RW
    > >DVD/RW

    > Where you put what doesn't really matter. If it were my system,
    > though, I'd put the HDD on the first channel and the opticals on the
    > second channel. The optical drive I planned to use boot disks on
    > (likely the DVD) I'd probably make master. The reasons for this have
    > disappeared. It usually doesn't matter on a modern, decent system.

  4. Re: set-up advice

    > Where you put what doesn't really matter. If it were my system,
    > though, I'd put the HDD on the first channel and the opticals on the

    2 PATA devices on the same cable cannot do IO in parallel, they wait for each
    other. So, putting disks to different cables is a good idea.

    SATA is also a good idea just to introduce 2 more connection points for disks.
    SATA implementation in i865PE chipset is hardware-compatible with usual Intel's
    family of PATA controllers and do not require driver installation (the
    OS-provided drivers suite well).

    --
    Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
    StorageCraft Corporation

  5. Re: set-up advice

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:47:37 +0400, "Maxim S. Shatskih"
    wrote:

    >> Where you put what doesn't really matter. If it were my system,
    >> though, I'd put the HDD on the first channel and the opticals on the

    >2 PATA devices on the same cable cannot do IO in parallel, they wait for each
    >other. So, putting disks to different cables is a good idea.

    That's no longer the case with modern ATA which is capable of
    multithreaded IO since ATA/ATAPI-4.

    SATA uses scsi & ata command overhead as well as devices frequently
    using bridges and/or concentrators which means you're not getting all
    you may think bandwidth/efficiency wise.

    SATA for medium or larger ATA arrays is nice for cabling reasons and
    because manufacturers are putting their best efforts there.

    >SATA is also a good idea just to introduce 2 more connection points for disks.

    PATA handles 2 disks just fine. For 1 or 2 jbod drives in a desktop
    pc it offers no benefit.

    >SATA implementation in i865PE chipset is hardware-compatible with usual Intel's
    >family of PATA controllers and do not require driver installation (the
    >OS-provided drivers suite well).

    He's not using that. I'm not citing driver issues as a case against
    SATA. I don't even thing SATA is necessarily a bad thing. If you
    want to use a raptor or it came with your pc already it's a nice
    thing.

  6. Re: set-up advice

    > >2 PATA devices on the same cable cannot do IO in parallel, they wait for
    each
    > >other. So, putting disks to different cables is a good idea.

    > That's no longer the case with modern ATA which is capable of
    > multithreaded IO since ATA/ATAPI-4.

    IIRC no OS supported this. Many controllers too. Disks - yes, disks are usually
    supporting this.

    --
    Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
    StorageCraft Corporation
    maxim@storagecraft.com
    http://www.storagecraft.com

  7. Re: set-up advice

    On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 10:26:30 +0400, "Maxim S. Shatskih"
    wrote:

    >> >2 PATA devices on the same cable cannot do IO in parallel, they wait for

    >each
    >> >other. So, putting disks to different cables is a good idea.

    >> That's no longer the case with modern ATA which is capable of
    >> multithreaded IO since ATA/ATAPI-4.

    >IIRC no OS supported this. Many controllers too. Disks - yes, disks are usually
    >supporting this.

    AFAIK the controller and driver are the main issue. In the initial
    days of ATA33 its true no one fully implemented the standard. I'm not
    so sure this is still total vaporware though. I, for one, haven't
    observed the same penalties with modern ATA bus sharing as with
    ancient IDE/EIDE.

  8. Re: set-up advice

    > so sure this is still total vaporware though. I, for one, haven't
    > observed the same penalties with modern ATA bus sharing as with
    > ancient IDE/EIDE.

    I saw this in XP SP2 even with SATA, in a case if SATA settings in BIOS setup
    map SATA as a secondary PATA channell.

    No such problems if BIOS settings map SATA to second independent 2way
    controller. In this case, Windows sees PATA the same way as usually, and also
    sees SATA as the second 2way controller with 1 device on each channel. In this
    case - no bus sharing penalty.

    This is i865PE chipset, where the OS-provided standard PCIIDE.SYS is used for
    SATA.

    --
    Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
    StorageCraft Corporation