storage consulting company feesible ? - Storage

This is a discussion on storage consulting company feesible ? - Storage ; How feesible would it be to start a storage consulting company this day an age, I know the consulting arena is pretty much dominated by the big consulting firms such as IBM,Accenture,KPMG etc.. but how is the market for smaller ...

  1. storage consulting company feesible ?

    How feesible would it be to start a storage consulting company this day
    an age, I know the consulting arena is pretty much dominated by the big
    consulting firms such as IBM,Accenture,KPMG etc.. but how is the
    market for smaller storage consulting firms especially in the FCIP/SAN
    arena? I'm also looking to develop some kind of tool to help automate
    the weakness in SAN deployments based loosly around the Brocade fabric
    access api.

    But staying back on topic the way I vision the storage arena in the
    coming years is to break open other venus because of the complexity and
    management issues kind of what Networking did for Security, and IP
    management tools.

    - RB
    - rodrick.brown@gmail.com

  2. Re: storage consulting company feesible ?

    On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 03:12:05 GMT, Rodrick Brown
    wrote:

    >How feesible would it be to start a storage consulting company this day
    >an age, I know the consulting arena is pretty much dominated by the big
    >consulting firms such as IBM,Accenture,KPMG etc.. but how is the
    >market for smaller storage consulting firms especially in the FCIP/SAN
    >arena? I'm also looking to develop some kind of tool to help automate
    >the weakness in SAN deployments based loosly around the Brocade fabric
    >access api.
    >
    >But staying back on topic the way I vision the storage arena in the
    >coming years is to break open other venus because of the complexity and
    >management issues kind of what Networking did for Security, and IP
    >management tools.
    >
    >- RB
    >- rodrick.brown@gmail.com

    I see two distinctly different issues with what you bring up. First,
    a consultancy around storage.
    Totally feasible, if you're good. Large companies still use smaller
    local VAR's and consultant talent for a myriad of projects. If you
    have a tough locale then pick a company and offer a free consultancy
    gig of their choice ( not to exceed some maximum you define ) on
    condition they act as a reference customer.

    Issue the second, streamlining/simplifying/automating SAN deployments
    is being done already by some decently sized companies with VC behind
    them. So if you plan to go this route you better have a smoking hot
    idea that no one's hit on yet.
    For reference, to make sure we're talking about similar concepts, I
    offer up Creekpath and AppIQ as existing products/companies in this
    space.

    The second one is not so easy as the first...

    ~F

+ Reply to Thread