IBM 3583 tapeutil - sequential mode - Storage

This is a discussion on IBM 3583 tapeutil - sequential mode - Storage ; Hi all, thanks in advance for all help that is offered. Two questions: 1. Is is possible to setup an IBM 3583 tape library with a single drive in "sequential mode" or does it only work in "random access mode"? ...

  1. IBM 3583 tapeutil - sequential mode

    Hi all, thanks in advance for all help that is offered.

    Two questions:
    1. Is is possible to setup an IBM 3583 tape library with a single drive in
    "sequential mode" or does it only work in "random access mode"?

    2. Does anyone have any sample tapeutil scripts for managing a 3583 tape
    library? All I want to do with tapeutil is to unmount one tape and mount the
    next one (similar to sequential mode mentioned above). The problem I am
    having with tapeutil is, when I issue the following commands:
    tapeutil -f /dev/smc0 unmount
    (then)
    tapeutil -f /dev/smc0 mount

    It loads the same tape that I just unmounted, when I wanted the next one in
    line.

    Thanks!
    Jeff
    aixrules@gmail.com

  2. Re: IBM 3583 tapeutil - sequential mode

[...]

    sure....
    step 1 inventory your library to find your "drive address" with the
    following: tapeutil -f /dev/smc0
    here's one of mine

    tapeutil -f /dev/smc0 inventory |pg
    Reading element status...

    Robot Address 0
    Robot State .................... Abnormal
    ASC/ASCQ ....................... 4087
    Media Present .................. No
    Source Element Address Valid ... No
    Media Inverted ................. No
    Volume Tag .....................

    Drive Address 23
    Drive State .................... Normal
    ASC/ASCQ ....................... 0000
    Media Present .................. No
    Robot Access Allowed ........... Yes
    Source Element Address Valid ... No
    Media Inverted ................. No
    Same Bus as Medium Changer ..... Yes
    SCSI Bus Address ............... 0
    Logical Unit Number ............ 0
    Volume Tag .....................

    as you can see my tape drive address is 23

    you can also specify a slot address with the mount/unmount commmand

    tapeutil -f /dev/smc0 mount x (where x is the slot you want to mount
    from) (same goes for unmount)

    given my drive address in the library is 23 here my sample mksysb
    backup script

    cat savesysnightly
    #this exec runs nightly and saves the rootvg volume group to tape
    echo 'backup the rootVG volume group to tape(nightly copy)'

    now=`date`
    echo backup started on $now
    tapeutil -f/dev/rmt0 unload
    tapeutil -f/dev/smc0 move -s 23 -d 6
    tapeutil -f/dev/smc0 move -s 1 -d 23
    echo 'run back up using command mksysb -miX /dev/rmt0'

    /usr/bin/mksysb -e -miX /dev/rmt0

    tapeutil -f/dev/rmt0 unload

    tapeutil -f/dev/smc0 move -s 23 -d 1

    now=`date`
    echo backup of nightly mksysb completed on $now
    echo
    '************************************************* ********************'
    echo
    '************************************************* ********************'

    the first unload command is in case some prior job left it's tape in
    the drive

    I would then move the prior jobs tape to an empty slot
    I then load my mksysb tape using the move parameter of tapeutil, source
    slot 1 to destination slot 23 (the drive)

    do backup
    when finished unload the tape from the drive
    have robot move tape from drive (23) back to slot 1
    BTW the unload command to the drive (rmt vs smc) must occur so the tape
    is ejected far enough
    for the robot to grab it.

    The reason we use tapeutil move command vs mount is that in libraries
    with a "split" configuration...(multiple drives, multiple slots, and
    mutiple hosts sharing the library) the mount/unmount command only works
    on the first half of the library. For instance a 2 drive, 20 slot
    library in split mode will process the unmount/mount command for only
    the first 10 slots.. a tapeutil command to mount/unmount slots 11-20
    fails.

    The move command with -s source and -d destination works consistently
    for all slots, and all libraries that we own. I turned this in to IBM
    long ago, and as far as I know it has never been fixed. BTW, IBM does
    not actually own the Atape driver code AFAIK

    Hope this helps.

+ Reply to Thread