Quantum Standards for Exceptional SDLT Tape Quality - Storage

This is a discussion on Quantum Standards for Exceptional SDLT Tape Quality - Storage ; For DLT Type IV tape, we have a table published by Quantum that shows the number of soft errors on each tape that would be considered each of the following quality levels: Exceptional Good Normal High Error Quantum publishes a ...

  1. Quantum Standards for Exceptional SDLT Tape Quality

    For DLT Type IV tape, we have a table published by Quantum that shows the
    number of soft errors on each tape that would be considered each of the
    following quality levels:

    Exceptional
    Good
    Normal
    High Error

    Quantum publishes a table with these quality levels for soft read errors and
    separately for soft write errors. We found this in the DLTTape for DOS
    software manual.

    Does Quantum have a similar table of quality levels for SDLT I and SDLT II
    media?

    --
    Will

  2. Re: Quantum Standards for Exceptional SDLT Tape Quality

    No. SDLT is far more complex, and there is no hard and fast rule
    because servo errors come into play. For the magnetics, you can use the
    same old limits (the low numbered counters in log pages 2 and 3) since
    they're scaled relative to tape length, so they are independent of
    capacity. For servo errors (0x8003 parameter), the count isn't valid,
    it's the density of servo errors. The drive can tolerate thousands of
    servo errors across the length of the tape if they are spread out, but
    a few bunched closely together (e.g. from tape edge damage) can cause a
    hard write error. Your best bet would be to make sure there are 0 (or
    maybe 1) servo errors on new tapes, and then watch if the media
    develops additional servo errors over time, of if one drive shows more
    than others. DLTSage will do that (and more) for you, so watching for
    Tape Alerts in operation is highly recommended.

    Hope this helps,
    Ralf-Peter

+ Reply to Thread