Multiport IDE cards, problems with Promise IDE ctrlr. - Storage

This is a discussion on Multiport IDE cards, problems with Promise IDE ctrlr. - Storage ; Anyone have recommendations for reliable IDE cards? I'm looking to replace my Promise controllers due to annoying errors posting as system events every hour. (Time sync error or whatever. It's a known problem with Promise controllers) Lately I've been getting ...

  1. Multiport IDE cards, problems with Promise IDE ctrlr.

    Anyone have recommendations for reliable IDE cards? I'm looking to
    replace my Promise controllers due to annoying errors posting as
    system events every hour. (Time sync error or whatever. It's a known
    problem with Promise controllers)

    Lately I've been getting the above error along with a second error
    message re swapfile. I suspect that this is a controller problem due
    to the fact it's accompanied by the Promise time sync error. The
    drive flagged with the error is new, and has passed multiple scandisk
    tests.

    Anyway, I'd love to find something that can support more than two
    IDE channels. Does anyone make a quad IDE card? If not, I'll
    settle for recommendations on good dual cards.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Multiport IDE cards, problems with Promise IDE ctrlr.

    _R wrote:
    > Anyone have recommendations for reliable IDE cards? I'm looking to
    > replace my Promise controllers due to annoying errors posting as
    > system events every hour. (Time sync error or whatever. It's a known
    > problem with Promise controllers)
    >
    > Lately I've been getting the above error along with a second error
    > message re swapfile. I suspect that this is a controller problem due
    > to the fact it's accompanied by the Promise time sync error. The
    > drive flagged with the error is new, and has passed multiple scandisk
    > tests.
    >
    > Anyway, I'd love to find something that can support more than two
    > IDE channels. Does anyone make a quad IDE card? If not, I'll
    > settle for recommendations on good dual cards.
    >
    > Thanks

    Silicon Image Ultra ATA/133 IDE Raid PCI Controller
    $15.99 On Sale
    http://www.softwareandstuff.com/CRD10155.html

    Works fine in my computer

  3. Re: Multiport IDE cards, problems with Promise IDE ctrlr.

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 22:41:24 -0800, Tod
    wrote:

    >> Anyway, I'd love to find something that can support more than two
    >> IDE channels. Does anyone make a quad IDE card? If not, I'll
    >> settle for recommendations on good dual cards.

    >Silicon Image Ultra ATA/133 IDE Raid PCI Controller
    >$15.99 On Sale
    >http://www.softwareandstuff.com/CRD10155.html

    Thanks for the recommendation. I haven't heard of Silicon Image, but
    apparently their chipsets are used quite a bit. I'll look into it.

    I also found out that Adaptec makes an ATA card--the 1233.
    http://tinyurl.com/6qxah

    Has anyone used it? Any problems?

+ Reply to Thread