Seagate Model ST3200822A - Storage

This is a discussion on Seagate Model ST3200822A - Storage ; Does anybody have experience with Seagate ATA Baracuda 200 Gbyte Hard Drive - Model: ST3200822A. A local retailer has them for $ 124.99. Rebate of $ 50.00 from Seagate... So total cost: $ 74.99 Specs say 7200 RPM - 8 ...

  1. Seagate Model ST3200822A

    Does anybody have experience with Seagate
    ATA Baracuda 200 Gbyte Hard Drive - Model: ST3200822A.

    A local retailer has them for $ 124.99.
    Rebate of $ 50.00 from Seagate... So total cost: $ 74.99
    Specs say 7200 RPM - 8 mb Buffer - 5 Year Warranty....
    Sounds like a good deal - But is it too good to be true ????

    Do you advise I jump ahead and “grab one of those babies” ???

    If I do purchase will be making it primary master and
    replacing a 6.4 Gbyte Maxtor drive....
    It has 256 kb Buffer and runs at 5400 RPM.

    Your ideas are appreciated... Thanks to all.

    --
    daveiosys

  2. Re: Seagate Model ST3200822A

    daveiosys wrote:
    > Does anybody have experience with Seagate
    > ATA Baracuda 200 Gbyte Hard Drive - Model: ST3200822A.
    >
    > A local retailer has them for $ 124.99.
    > Rebate of $ 50.00 from Seagate... So total cost: $ 74.99
    > Specs say 7200 RPM - 8 mb Buffer - 5 Year Warranty....
    > Sounds like a good deal - But is it too good to be true ????

    I haven't found it to be, at least so far. I've been running one
    (mostly as a large backup drive for copying partitions to) for months.

    Outpost.com has been having great sales plus rebates on the 120, 160,
    and 200 GB Seagate ATA Barracudas all winter: as low as $40 net, $50
    net, and $70 net, respectively (plus shipping, of course). I got one of
    each, since it's not clear that the rebate can be applied to more than
    one of the same SKU. With their 5-year warranty, they're especially
    hard to resist at those prices: the best WD sales-plus-rebates I've
    seen ($35 and $50 for 80 GB and 120 GB disks, respectively) haven't even
    matched them.

    For some reason, new Seagate drives report significant accumulated
    errors in several SMART categories, at least as interpreted by Adenix
    SMART Explorer. They do not appear to reflect any actual deficiencies,
    however (Adenix notes this in their documentation).

    - bill

+ Reply to Thread