Brocade help: can't see drives through only one switch - Storage

This is a discussion on Brocade help: can't see drives through only one switch - Storage ; I am having a problem with a Brocade 2400 switch: I can't see the drives (Sun T3 RAID units) from Linux hosts with Qlogic QLA2342 cards also connected to the switch. Each device is connected directly to the switch (no ...

  1. Brocade help: can't see drives through only one switch

    I am having a problem with a Brocade 2400 switch: I can't see the
    drives (Sun T3 RAID units) from Linux hosts with Qlogic QLA2342 cards
    also connected to the switch. Each device is connected directly to the
    switch (no loops), and the switch sees the devices on each port. The
    Linux servers just don't see the disks through the switch. Linux isn't
    actually involved as I can't see the disks through the Qlogic BIOS
    interface either.

    However, I can see the drives just fine if I connect everything through
    another Brocade 2400 switch. I am using the same GBICs and cables when
    I do the tests so it isn't that hardware. What I can't figure out is
    how the configuration of the two Brocade switches differ -- I can't
    figure out what I need to change on the first Brocade switch to make it
    work like the other Brocade switch.

    There are obvious differences in the two units, but I can't believe
    they would prevent this relatively simple configuration from working.
    The problem switch is actually an EMC-branded unit while the one that
    works is a Brocade-branded switch. They are also running different
    firmware (the working one runs 2.6.0D while the EMC-branded unit is
    running 2.3.0). The EMC-branded unit also has all sorts of extra
    licenses (Web, Zoning, SES, QuickLoop, Fabric Watch, Fabric, Release
    v2.2). These differences seem to force slightly different
    configurations -- for example, the EMC-branded unit only wants to be in
    switchDomain 97-127 while the Brocade unit is set for switchDomain 1
    "(unconfirmed)". The EMC has many more options for zoning, but I've
    tried to disable all of that on both switches.

    Of course I would like the two switches to run the exact same firmware
    and be licensed for the same features, but that probably won't be an
    option in this situation. If anyone has any suggestions about what to
    look at on the EMC-branded switch to make it work, I would appreciate
    it very much.

    P.S.E-mail replies should be directed to a Yahoo e-mail address. The
    account name is "technyc".

  2. Re: Brocade help: can't see drives through only one switch

    Well, of course, the obvious first question is, are the ports to which your
    Linux hosts are connected, in a different zone than the ports to which your
    storage is connected?

    Also do switchShow and see how your Linux hosts are logging in... as F
    ports? NL? etc (it's been a while since I've done this myself, but that's
    the first couple of things I'd do).

    > I am having a problem with a Brocade 2400 switch: I can't see the
    > drives (Sun T3 RAID units) from Linux hosts with Qlogic QLA2342 cards

  3. Re: Brocade help: can't see drives through only one switch

    Ben wrote:
    > I am having a problem with a Brocade 2400 switch: I can't see the
    > drives (Sun T3 RAID units) from Linux hosts with Qlogic QLA2342 cards
    > also connected to the switch. Each device is connected directly to the
    > switch (no loops), and the switch sees the devices on each port. The
    > Linux servers just don't see the disks through the switch. Linux isn't
    > actually involved as I can't see the disks through the Qlogic BIOS
    > interface either.
    >
    > However, I can see the drives just fine if I connect everything through
    > another Brocade 2400 switch. I am using the same GBICs and cables when
    > I do the tests so it isn't that hardware. What I can't figure out is
    > how the configuration of the two Brocade switches differ -- I can't
    > figure out what I need to change on the first Brocade switch to make it
    > work like the other Brocade switch.

    I know I had some problems with the Sun T3 on a Sun branded qlogic
    switch once. It was something to do with that the ports on the switch
    the T3 was connected to had to be put in "G" port or something... at
    least, when it was in "F" port, the host servers wouldn't see the T3.
    This is a while ago, but it could be worth a try to look at the settings
    for the ports.

    Regards,
    Mats Berger

  4. Re: Brocade help: can't see drives through only one switch

    Hi Kurt,
    Thanks for the help. I think I've turned off all zoning with:
    > cfgClear
    > configure

    Disable NodeName Zone Checking: (0..1) [1] 1

    However, on the switch that works (but runs firmware 2.6.0D), I also
    get this question:
    Default Access when zoning is not active (0 = NOACCESS 1 =
    ALLACCESS): (0..1) [1]
    I don't get that question on the switch that I can't get to work (which
    is running firmware 2.3.0). Is there more that I need to do?

    Here is the output of switchshow:
    switchB:admin> switchshow
    switchName: switchB
    switchType: 3.4
    switchState: Online
    switchRole: Principal
    switchDomain: 97
    switchId: fffc61
    switchWwn: 10:00:00:60:69:20:3b:c6
    switchBeacon: OFF
    port 0: sw Online F-Port xx:yy:zz:aa:bb:cc:dd:ee
    port 1: sw Online L-Port 1 private, 1 phantom
    port 2: sw Online F-Port xx:y1:zz:aa:bb:cc:dd:ee
    port 3: -- No_Module
    port 4: -- No_Module
    port 5: id Online L-Port 1 private, 1 phantom
    port 6: -- No_Module
    port 7: -- No_Module

    where ports 0 and 2 are connected to a dual-channel Qlogic 2342 HBA

    Best,
    Benjamin

    Kurt Duncan wrote:
    > Well, of course, the obvious first question is, are the ports to

    which your
    > Linux hosts are connected, in a different zone than the ports to

    which your
    > storage is connected?
    >
    > Also do switchShow and see how your Linux hosts are logging in... as

    > ports? NL? etc (it's been a while since I've done this myself, but

    that's
    > the first couple of things I'd do).
    >
    > > I am having a problem with a Brocade 2400 switch: I can't see the
    > > drives (Sun T3 RAID units) from Linux hosts with Qlogic QLA2342

    cards

  5. Re: Brocade help: can't see drives through only one switch

    I have this switch working now. I think the root of the problem was
    interopMode. At one point I had interopMode enabled. For some reason,
    the switch interacts with the HBAs differently in interopMode. After
    executing "interopMode 0" and rebooting the switch, all the hosts
    immediately found the connected RAID through that switch. On a switch
    running firmware 2.6.0D, "interopMode" didn't seem to make as big a
    difference.

    Firmware 2.3.0 also seems to let one change interopMode via the
    "configure" command and later firmware force the use of the
    "interopMode" command. I get the impression that setting interopMode
    via configure can leave the switch in an undefined state.

    Another thing I found is that ghosts of zones can sometimes return on
    reboot unless one does a sequence like "cfgDisable; cfgClear; cfgSave".
    "cfgDisable; cfgClear" didn't seem to be enough.

    I think what happened is that I probably tried toggling interopMode
    earlier in the configuration cycle, but that didn't work because I
    probably hadn't cleared the previous switches zones at that point.
    Then I left the switch in interopMode because that seemed more likely
    to work than the other way. After I really cleared out all the zones,
    I didn't think to go back and try toggling interopMode again.

    Someone told me that EMC-labeled Brocade switches might require that
    zones be defined to work properly (that is, the switch would default to
    NOACCESS mode if no zones were defined), but I didn't find that to be
    the case.

    Actually, what would be nice is if the "configClear" command actually
    restored the switch to factory defaults including the zones, SNMP,
    FabricWatch, etc. The only thing I wouldn't want cleared by default
    are the licenses. Actually, I wouldn't mind if Brocade just got rid of
    the whole licensed feature approach but I am not holding my
    breath...but I am more likely to recommend Qlogic for <60 device SANs.

  6. Re: Brocade help: can't see drives through only one switch

    Glad to hear the unit is now working.

    I would try to d/l the latest generic firmware for the switch, if it were
    me. Or at least match it with the other one. Don't know what interopMode
    does, internally, but it doesn't surprise me that something with that name,
    could cause trouble...

  7. Re: Brocade help: can't see drives through only one switch

    Kurt Duncan wrote:
    > Glad to hear the unit is now working.
    >
    > I would try to d/l the latest generic firmware for the switch, if it

    were
    > me. Or at least match it with the other one. Don't know what

    interopMode
    > does, internally, but it doesn't surprise me that something with that

    name,
    > could cause trouble...

    I would have if we had access to firmware updates. Unfortunately, the
    switch's owner didn't have a support contract, and Brocade doesn't
    offer access to firmware updates without a full support contract.
    Unfortuantely, Brocade support contracts cost more than new switches
    from other vendors. Unfortunately, I don't keep copies of the firmware
    either (what is the legality of installing firmware on a switch that
    doesn't have a support contract?).

    I did find a slightly newer firmware for the Brocade 2400 on the
    website of a vendor for which Brocade is an OEM, but it still wouldn't
    let me match the versions. Ideally, we would upgrade both switches to
    2.6.2c.

    I understand that interopMode could cause trouble and I understand why
    Brocade makes one choose between useful features and interoperating
    with other switches, but I don't understand why enabling interopMode
    makes it harder for HBAs and/or disks to connect. If anything, I would
    think the opposite, but Brocade seems to interpet interopability
    different than I do.

  8. Re: Brocade help: can't see drives through only one switch

    See http://www.brocade.com/support/end_of_life.jsp. There are
    several PDF documents there with words similar to:

    "We encourage customers to migrate to the latest Fabric OS
    versions available from Brocade equipment providers.

    This migration is free, and no firmware licenses are required."

    It might be possible to get newer firmware without having to pay.

    "Ben" wrote in message news:1110933421.391298.226980@o13g2000cwo.googlegr oups.com...

    > Kurt Duncan wrote:
    >> Glad to hear the unit is now working.
    >>
    >> I would try to d/l the latest generic firmware for the switch, if it

    > were
    >> me. Or at least match it with the other one. Don't know what

    > interopMode
    >> does, internally, but it doesn't surprise me that something with that

    > name,
    >> could cause trouble...

    > I would have if we had access to firmware updates. Unfortunately, the
    > switch's owner didn't have a support contract, and Brocade doesn't
    > offer access to firmware updates without a full support contract.
    > Unfortuantely, Brocade support contracts cost more than new switches
    > from other vendors. Unfortunately, I don't keep copies of the firmware
    > either (what is the legality of installing firmware on a switch that
    > doesn't have a support contract?).
    >
    > I did find a slightly newer firmware for the Brocade 2400 on the
    > website of a vendor for which Brocade is an OEM, but it still wouldn't
    > let me match the versions. Ideally, we would upgrade both switches to
    > 2.6.2c.
    >
    > I understand that interopMode could cause trouble and I understand why
    > Brocade makes one choose between useful features and interoperating
    > with other switches, but I don't understand why enabling interopMode
    > makes it harder for HBAs and/or disks to connect. If anything, I would
    > think the opposite, but Brocade seems to interpet interopability
    > different than I do.

+ Reply to Thread