Whatever happened to to '-u' swtich to 'scp'? - SSH

This is a discussion on Whatever happened to to '-u' swtich to 'scp'? - SSH ; scp / ssh from RedHat 7.3 used to have a '-u' switch from man scp: "Makes scp2 remove source-files after copying. This makes scp2 work more like "mv" than "cp."" this was version: ssh: F-Secure-SSH-2.3.1 (build 7) on i686-pc-linux-gnu Newer ...

  1. Whatever happened to to '-u' swtich to 'scp'?

    scp / ssh from RedHat 7.3 used to have a '-u' switch

    from man scp:
    "Makes scp2 remove source-files after copying. This makes scp2 work
    more like "mv" than "cp.""

    this was version:
    ssh: F-Secure-SSH-2.3.1 (build 7) on i686-pc-linux-gnu

    Newer sshd's seemingly no longer have this -u 'remove' option.

    Anyone know where this functionality went? Is it even possible now??

    I am _really_ trying to avoid a two-stage connection to duplicate this
    older functionality
    eg.,
    scp - to copy source file
    then:
    ssh - to delete source file

    would it be possible to install/compile an older sshd on RHEL3 to
    regain this functionality

    TIA
    Scott

  2. Re: Whatever happened to to '-u' swtich to 'scp'?

    moffet.scott@gmail.com writes:

    > scp / ssh from RedHat 7.3 used to have a '-u' switch
    >
    > from man scp:
    > "Makes scp2 remove source-files after copying. This makes scp2 work
    > more like "mv" than "cp.""
    >
    > this was version:
    > ssh: F-Secure-SSH-2.3.1 (build 7) on i686-pc-linux-gnu
    >
    > Newer sshd's seemingly no longer have this -u 'remove' option.

    I'd point out that FSecure-SSH is not the same as OpenSSH's SSH.

    I'm not sure if RedHat ever shipped with FSecure's client?

    Not sure the functionality you seek is available in openssh. If it
    were, I'm not sure how excited I'd be to use it.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: Whatever happened to to '-u' swtich to 'scp'?

    On Oct 3, 1:33 pm, comph...@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:
    > moffet.sc...@gmail.com writes:
    > > scp / ssh from RedHat 7.3 used to have a '-u' switch

    > > from man scp:
    > > "Makes scp2 remove source-files after copying. This makes scp2 work
    > > more like "mv" than "cp.""

    > > this was version:
    > > ssh: F-Secure-SSH-2.3.1 (build 7) on i686-pc-linux-gnu

    > > Newer sshd's seemingly no longer have this -u 'remove' option.

    > I'd point out that FSecure-SSH is not the same as OpenSSH's SSH.
    >
    > I'm not sure if RedHat ever shipped with FSecure's client?
    >
    > Not sure the functionality you seek is available in openssh. If it
    > were, I'm not sure how excited I'd be to use it.
    >
    > --
    > Todd H.http://www.toddh.net/

    Todd -
    F-Secure-SSH-2.3.1 is the SSH that came with a default RedHat 7.3
    installation.
    I've used it in a high volume production application and it has proved
    100% reliable in literally 100s of millions of invocations over the
    last five years.
    But unfortunately, it looks like I can't port forward :-(

  4. Re: Whatever happened to to '-u' swtich to 'scp'?

    On 4 Oct, 15:34, moffet.sc...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Oct 3, 1:33 pm, comph...@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:
    >

    > > moffet.sc...@gmail.com writes:
    > > > scp / ssh from RedHat 7.3 used to have a '-u' switch

    > > > from man scp:
    > > > "Makes scp2 remove source-files after copying. This makes scp2 work
    > > > more like "mv" than "cp.""

    > > > this was version:
    > > > ssh: F-Secure-SSH-2.3.1 (build 7) on i686-pc-linux-gnu

    > > > Newer sshd's seemingly no longer have this -u 'remove' option.

    > > I'd point out that FSecure-SSH is not the same as OpenSSH's SSH.

    > > I'm not sure if RedHat ever shipped with FSecure's client?

    > > Not sure the functionality you seek is available in openssh. If it
    > > were, I'm not sure how excited I'd be to use it.

    > > --
    > > Todd H.http://www.toddh.net/

    > Todd -
    > F-Secure-SSH-2.3.1 is the SSH that came with a default RedHat 7.3
    > installation.
    > I've used it in a high volume production application and it has proved
    > 100% reliable in literally 100s of millions of invocations over the
    > last five years.
    > But unfortunately, it looks like I can't port forward :-(- Hide quoted text -

    No, it didn't. RedHat only ever came with OpenSSH, at least since
    RedHat 4.2 (the original, not RHEL). OpenSSH 3.1 came in the original
    RedHat 7.3 by default. You had to buy F-Secure's version of SSH
    separately. There aren't many redHat 7.3 mirrors left, but one is at
    http://sunsite.icm.edu.pl/pub/linux/...6/RedHat/RPMS/,
    and it's clearly OpenSSH.

    Why not use "rsync -e ssh -av sourcefile username@hostname:/dirname/
    sourcefile && rm -f sourcefile"?