I have vague memories of some security colleagues of mine sorta poo
pooing sshd under cygwin for some reason several years ago. I can't
recall why, but it had to do with something unique to cygwin. Dunno
if they were all wet or not, but they made their case enuogh such that
the company despite really not wanting to, spent money for every
Windows server we deployed to use the Vandyke Vshell server
recommended solution.

Anyone harzard a guess as to what details may have been behind this
recommendation, whether it was valid, and whether the issue still
exists today?

Sorry for such an open ended question, but if ever there was a place
someone might know, I figured this ng would be it!

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/