Putty connection refused, even if WinSCP3 works ? - SSH

This is a discussion on Putty connection refused, even if WinSCP3 works ? - SSH ; Hello, I cannot find anyone with my problem on the newsgroups consulted: FACTs: 1-I used to work with putty (for a vnc connection to an office) and winscp to browse the network. 2-Both used to work fine. 3-Now, WinSCP still ...

  1. Putty connection refused, even if WinSCP3 works ?

    Hello,

    I cannot find anyone with my problem on the newsgroups consulted:
    FACTs:
    1-I used to work with putty (for a vnc connection to an office) and
    winscp to browse
    the network.
    2-Both used to work fine.
    3-Now, WinSCP still work when I provide the correct IP
    4-Putty does not work anymore.

    Putty returns the window: PuTTY Fatal Error: Network error: Connection
    refused.
    Please, could I have some advise on how to debug my problem.
    Should I use a sniffer to verify where Putty is blocked ?

    Help, please.

    Alain Lavoie

  2. Re: Putty connection refused, even if WinSCP3 works ?

    On Sep 24, 8:48 am, Alain.Lavoie.De...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I cannot find anyone with my problem on the newsgroups consulted:
    > FACTs:
    > 1-I used to work with putty (for a vnc connection to an office) and
    > winscp to browse
    > the network.
    > 2-Both used to work fine.
    > 3-Now, WinSCP still work when I provide the correct IP
    > 4-Putty does not work anymore.
    >
    > Putty returns the window: PuTTY Fatal Error: Network error: Connection
    > refused.
    > Please, could I have some advise on how to debug my problem.
    > Should I use a sniffer to verify where Putty is blocked ?

    Well, the error is rather explicit. "Connection refused" effectively
    means that there is no service to connect to. FWIW, WinSCP supports a
    number of file transfer protocols, including SFTP. The fact that
    WinSCP works is not an indicator that you have an SSH server to
    connect to.

    Things to ask about:
    1) firewalls interfering with ssh access?
    2) ssh server running on target system?
    3) winscp using ssh protocol?
    4) administrative blocks against interactive sessions (either in SSH
    config, or in firewall)?

  3. Re: Putty connection refused, even if WinSCP3 works ?

    Alain.Lavoie.Dexto@gmail.com writes:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I cannot find anyone with my problem on the newsgroups consulted:
    > FACTs:
    > 1-I used to work with putty (for a vnc connection to an office) and
    > winscp to browse
    > the network.
    > 2-Both used to work fine.
    > 3-Now, WinSCP still work when I provide the correct IP
    > 4-Putty does not work anymore.

    Are you using the correct IP for putty? Are you connecting on the
    right port where ssh is listening? Do you have any firewall software
    perhaps not allowing putty out? Are you using the latest release of
    putty (unlikely related to the problem, but for security's sake, a
    good idea)?

    If putty is reporting connection refused, something on the network
    layer isn't happy.

    If you want another gui ssh client to try (but warning, you might get
    hooked), download the trial of SecureCRT from
    http://vandyke.com/download/securecrt/index.html

    Or if you'd like a free commandline one, download cygwin.com and
    select openssh from the network (I believe) section of the cygwin
    installer.
    http://cygwin.com/setup.exe

    Then open the cygwin shell and
    $ ssh -v IP.of.target

    The -v option is for "verbose" and gives you debugging information you
    can post here.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.