SSH Tunnelling Proxy Question - SSH

This is a discussion on SSH Tunnelling Proxy Question - SSH ; Hi, I'm fairly new to some networking concepts, so I hope this is a reasonably straight forward question. There are some resouces I want to access in work, from home. Things like code repositories (cvs). In work I can access ...

  1. SSH Tunnelling Proxy Question

    Hi,

    I'm fairly new to some networking concepts, so I hope this is a
    reasonably straight forward question.

    There are some resouces I want to access in work, from home. Things
    like code repositories (cvs).
    In work I can access the remote repository from my machine "bothin"
    which is on the same internal network.

    >From home I cant access bothin directly, instead I have to ssh to a

    machine called "frontdoor". Once I ssh to frontdoor I can then ssh
    onto Bothin.

    What I would like to do from my home machine is proxy all requests for
    specific ports like 2401 (cvs port) through Bothin. This way I can
    access the internal cvs server at work, and check out code onto my
    home machine.

    Can anyone give me suggestions of how to set this up? BTW all these
    machines are running Solaris 10.

    Thanks

  2. Re: SSH Tunnelling Proxy Question

    DJ> Hi, I'm fairly new to some networking concepts, so I hope this is
    DJ> a reasonably straight forward question.

    DJ> There are some resouces I want to access in work, from home.
    DJ> Things like code repositories (cvs). In work I can access the
    DJ> remote repository from my machine "bothin" which is on the same
    DJ> internal network.

    >> From home I cant access bothin directly, instead I have to ssh to a

    DJ> machine called "frontdoor". Once I ssh to frontdoor I can then
    DJ> ssh onto Bothin.

    DJ> What I would like to do from my home machine is proxy all requests
    DJ> for specific ports like 2401 (cvs port) through Bothin. This way
    DJ> I can access the internal cvs server at work, and check out code
    DJ> onto my home machine.

    If the CVS server is reachable from frontdoor, you may not need to involve
    bothin at all. Try:

    ssh -vL 1234:cvs_server:2401 frontdoor

    .... and point your CVS client at localhost:1234.

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net

  3. Re: SSH Tunnelling Proxy Question

    On Sep 24, 4:33 am, "Richard E. Silverman" wrote:

    > DJ> Hi, I'm fairly new to some networking concepts, so I hope this is
    > DJ> a reasonably straight forward question.
    >
    > DJ> There are some resouces I want to access in work, from home.
    > DJ> Things like code repositories (cvs). In work I can access the
    > DJ> remote repository from my machine "bothin" which is on the same
    > DJ> internal network.
    >
    > >> From home I cant access bothin directly, instead I have to ssh to a

    > DJ> machine called "frontdoor". Once I ssh to frontdoor I can then
    > DJ> ssh onto Bothin.
    >
    > DJ> What I would like to do from my home machine is proxy all requests
    > DJ> for specific ports like 2401 (cvs port) through Bothin. This way
    > DJ> I can access the internal cvs server at work, and check out code
    > DJ> onto my home machine.
    >
    > If the CVS server is reachable from frontdoor, you may not need to involve
    > bothin at all. Try:
    >
    > ssh -vL 1234:cvs_server:2401 frontdoor
    >
    > ... and point your CVS client at localhost:1234.
    >
    > DJ> Can anyone give me suggestions of how to set this up? BTW all
    > DJ> these machines are running Solaris 10.
    >
    > DJ> Thanks
    >
    > --
    > Richard Silverman
    > r...@qoxp.net

    Thanks - I will give that a go when I get home.

  4. Re: SSH Tunnelling Proxy Question

    > > If the CVS server is reachable from frontdoor, you may not need to involve
    > > bothin at all. Try:

    > > ssh -vL 1234:cvs_server:2401 frontdoor

    > > ... and point your CVS client at localhost:1234.

    > > DJ> Can anyone give me suggestions of how to set this up? BTW all
    > > DJ> these machines are running Solaris 10.

    > > DJ> Thanks

    > > --
    > > Richard Silverman