Quick question | Hummingbird Connectivity Secure Shell Version 12.00 - SSH

This is a discussion on Quick question | Hummingbird Connectivity Secure Shell Version 12.00 - SSH ; Recently we requested our IT group to install an SSH server on one of our windows servers so that we can use SSH to login / sftp etc. We had suggested that they install OpenSSH, but the problem the IT ...

  1. Quick question | Hummingbird Connectivity Secure Shell Version 12.00

    Recently we requested our IT group to install an SSH server on one of
    our windows servers so that we can use SSH to login / sftp etc. We
    had suggested that they install OpenSSH, but the problem the IT group
    faced was that OpenSSH was not the standard. So finally they came up
    with a standard and have now installed "Hummingbird Connectivity
    Secure Shell Version 12.00".

    Now I am almost sure that "Hummingbird Connectivity Secure Shell
    Version 12.00" is a client software to connect to an SSH server and is
    not an SSH server. So this would be useless to me. But before I go and
    tell the IT group that this would not work I just wanted to ensure
    that my understanding is correct. Can "Hummingbird Connectivity Secure
    Shell Version 12.00" be used as an SSH server?

    This is what I found on the Hummingbird website for the description of
    the product: "Hummingbird Exceed version 12.0 lets you access
    applications on UNIX work stations from existing Windows based
    personal computers. It lets you run and display UNIX, Linux, VMS or X
    windows application (X clients) and intergrates your desktop with X
    window systems, IBM and the internet.This product along with
    connectivity secure shell will be mainly used by system
    administrators"

    So I seem to be correct that it is only an SSH client and not an SSH
    server - can somebody quickly confirm - Thanks so much.

  2. Re: Quick question | Hummingbird Connectivity Secure Shell Version 12.00

    anokun7 writes:

    > Recently we requested our IT group to install an SSH server on one of
    > our windows servers so that we can use SSH to login / sftp etc. We
    > had suggested that they install OpenSSH, but the problem the IT group
    > faced was that OpenSSH was not the standard. So finally they came up
    > with a standard and have now installed "Hummingbird Connectivity
    > Secure Shell Version 12.00".
    >
    > Now I am almost sure that "Hummingbird Connectivity Secure Shell
    > Version 12.00" is a client software to connect to an SSH server and is
    > not an SSH server. So this would be useless to me. But before I go and
    > tell the IT group that this would not work I just wanted to ensure
    > that my understanding is correct. Can "Hummingbird Connectivity Secure
    > Shell Version 12.00" be used as an SSH server?
    >
    > This is what I found on the Hummingbird website for the description of
    > the product: "Hummingbird Exceed version 12.0 lets you access
    > applications on UNIX work stations from existing Windows based
    > personal computers. It lets you run and display UNIX, Linux, VMS or X
    > windows application (X clients) and intergrates your desktop with X
    > window systems, IBM and the internet.This product along with
    > connectivity secure shell will be mainly used by system
    > administrators"
    >
    > So I seem to be correct that it is only an SSH client and not an SSH
    > server - can somebody quickly confirm - Thanks so much.

    Looks like it by all accounts. I saw an Exceed box in my closet just
    yesterday and thought "with xorg available for windows, and all manner
    of open source conenctivity tools, how are these people still in
    business?" Management that's scared of open source is probably the
    answer.

    At any rate, if you need a good ssh server for Win, look into
    VanDyke's vshell server.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: Quick question | Hummingbird Connectivity Secure Shell Version 12.00

    On 17 Sep, 22:15, comph...@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:
    > anokun7 writes:
    > > Recently we requested our IT group to install an SSH server on one of
    > > our windows servers so that we can use SSH to login / sftp etc. We
    > > had suggested that they install OpenSSH, but the problem the IT group
    > > faced was that OpenSSH was not the standard. So finally they came up
    > > with a standard and have now installed "Hummingbird Connectivity
    > > Secure Shell Version 12.00".

    > > Now I am almost sure that "Hummingbird Connectivity Secure Shell
    > > Version 12.00" is a client software to connect to an SSH server and is
    > > not an SSH server. So this would be useless to me. But before I go and
    > > tell the IT group that this would not work I just wanted to ensure
    > > that my understanding is correct. Can "Hummingbird Connectivity Secure
    > > Shell Version 12.00" be used as an SSH server?

    > > This is what I found on the Hummingbird website for the description of
    > > the product: "Hummingbird Exceed version 12.0 lets you access
    > > applications on UNIX work stations from existing Windows based
    > > personal computers. It lets you run and display UNIX, Linux, VMS or X
    > > windows application (X clients) and intergrates your desktop with X
    > > window systems, IBM and the internet.This product along with
    > > connectivity secure shell will be mainly used by system
    > > administrators"

    > > So I seem to be correct that it is only an SSH client and not an SSH
    > > server - can somebody quickly confirm - Thanks so much.

    > Looks like it by all accounts. I saw an Exceed box in my closet just
    > yesterday and thought "with xorg available for windows, and all manner
    > of open source conenctivity tools, how are these people still in
    > business?" Management that's scared of open source is probably the
    > answer.
    >
    > At any rate, if you need a good ssh server for Win, look into
    > VanDyke's vshell server.

    I can confirm this from my experience with it 5 years ago. You want
    CygWin, or a stripped CygWin based SSH server. ssh.com has something
    they call the "Connector" for Windows.

  4. Re: Quick question | Hummingbird Connectivity Secure Shell Version 12.00

    On Sep 21, 7:03 pm, Nico wrote:
    > On 17 Sep, 22:15, comph...@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:
    >

    > > anokun7 writes:
    > > > Recently we requested our IT group to install an SSH server on one of
    > > > our windows servers so that we can use SSH to login / sftp etc. We
    > > > had suggested that they install OpenSSH, but the problem the IT group
    > > > faced was that OpenSSH was not the standard. So finally they came up
    > > > with a standard and have now installed "Hummingbird Connectivity
    > > > Secure Shell Version 12.00".

    > > > Now I am almost sure that "Hummingbird Connectivity Secure Shell
    > > > Version 12.00" is a client software to connect to an SSH server and is
    > > > not an SSH server. So this would be useless to me. But before I go and
    > > > tell the IT group that this would not work I just wanted to ensure
    > > > that my understanding is correct. Can "Hummingbird Connectivity Secure
    > > > Shell Version 12.00" be used as an SSH server?

    > > > This is what I found on the Hummingbird website for the description of
    > > > the product: "Hummingbird Exceed version 12.0 lets you access
    > > > applications on UNIX work stations from existing Windows based
    > > > personal computers. It lets you run and display UNIX, Linux, VMS or X
    > > > windows application (X clients) and intergrates your desktop with X
    > > > window systems, IBM and the internet.This product along with
    > > > connectivity secure shell will be mainly used by system
    > > > administrators"

    > > > So I seem to be correct that it is only an SSH client and not an SSH
    > > > server - can somebody quickly confirm - Thanks so much.

    > > Looks like it by all accounts. I saw an Exceed box in my closet just
    > > yesterday and thought "with xorg available for windows, and all manner
    > > of open source conenctivity tools, how are these people still in
    > > business?" Management that's scared of open source is probably the
    > > answer.

    > > At any rate, if you need a good ssh server for Win, look into
    > > VanDyke's vshell server.

    > I can confirm this from my experience with it 5 years ago. You want
    > CygWin, or a stripped CygWin based SSH server. ssh.com has something
    > they call the "Connector" for Windows.

    Thank you both so much for your responses. Can you also please answer
    a few related questions? Is there any SSH server software available
    from Hummingbird (Exceed) the company? If not - is there any
    commercial SSH server software available other than OpenSSH and
    Cygwin?
    Further what would you suggest is the best way to show the IT team
    that SSH server is not installed. I tried pinging the host using
    "telnet 22" and "telnet 23". Both did not work -
    is that enough proof to go with to prove that SSH server is not
    running on the windows box?

    Thanks again.

  5. Re: Quick question | Hummingbird Connectivity Secure Shell Version 12.00

    On 23 Sep, 08:30, anokun7 wrote:
    > On Sep 21, 7:03 pm, Nico wrote:

    > > > Looks like it by all accounts. I saw an Exceed box in my closet just
    > > > yesterday and thought "with xorg available for windows, and all manner
    > > > of open source conenctivity tools, how are these people still in
    > > > business?" Management that's scared of open source is probably the
    > > > answer.

    > > > At any rate, if you need a good ssh server for Win, look into
    > > > VanDyke's vshell server.

    > > I can confirm this from my experience with it 5 years ago. You want
    > > CygWin, or a stripped CygWin based SSH server. ssh.com has something
    > > they call the "Connector" for Windows.

    > Thank you both so much for your responses. Can you also please answer
    > a few related questions? Is there any SSH server software available
    > from Hummingbird (Exceed) the company? If not - is there any
    > commercial SSH server software available other than OpenSSH and
    > Cygwin?
    > Further what would you suggest is the best way to show the IT team
    > that SSH server is not installed. I tried pinging the host using
    > "telnet 22" and "telnet 23". Both did not work -
    > is that enough proof to go with to prove that SSH server is not
    > running on the windows box?
    >
    > Thanks again.- Hide quoted text -

    Why do you want to show that? If you install such a server, it's
    trivial to turn it off or to run it on another port. Do they have
    authority over what you install on your desktops or servers and would
    block you from running such a service?

    I've not dealt with Hummingbird for a few yers. My experience was that
    it was proprietary bloatware that spewed software into my program
    lists and control panels, and took up hundreds of megs of space I
    didn't want to give up for features I didn't need. They may have
    changed, but I can't tell without an installation.

+ Reply to Thread