SSH Port Forwarding Question - SSH

This is a discussion on SSH Port Forwarding Question - SSH ; I would like to create a large amount of local port forward ports to another host. When setting them up on 1 putty session I get an error at about the 42nd tunnel port that I have too many. This ...

  1. SSH Port Forwarding Question

    I would like to create a large amount of local port forward ports to
    another host. When setting them up on 1 putty session I get an error
    at about the 42nd tunnel port that I have too many.

    This is before I even try to connect to the server.

    Due to new policies I need to set up tunnel sessions through 1 gateway
    to up to 312 different ip/ports on the other side. NOT at one time
    though. I want my users to be able to ssh 1 time to the gateway and
    use a Procomm Directory to telnet to a max of 25 sessions at one time.
    But these 25 sessions could be any combination of the 312 available
    sessions.

    Is there any way to increase the available local port fwd sessions on
    one Putty session? Can you point me to any documentation to allow me
    to increase this limit? Is there another alternative?

    Example use
    SSH from windows to UNIX gateway

    On windows computer telnet to localhost 13000 - 13499 individually up
    to 25 consecutive. Putty sets tunnel L13000=192.x.x.001:23 -
    L13499=10.x.x.250:23 each local port being a separate server that can
    only be accessed from the unix gateway.

  2. Re: SSH Port Forwarding Question

    "csharpe3@gmail.com" writes:

    > I would like to create a large amount of local port forward ports to
    > another host. When setting them up on 1 putty session I get an error
    > at about the 42nd tunnel port that I have too many.
    >
    > This is before I even try to connect to the server.
    >
    > Due to new policies I need to set up tunnel sessions through 1 gateway
    > to up to 312 different ip/ports on the other side. NOT at one time
    > though. I want my users to be able to ssh 1 time to the gateway and
    > use a Procomm Directory to telnet to a max of 25 sessions at one time.
    > But these 25 sessions could be any combination of the 312 available
    > sessions.
    >
    > Is there any way to increase the available local port fwd sessions on
    > one Putty session? Can you point me to any documentation to allow me
    > to increase this limit? Is there another alternative?
    >
    > Example use
    > SSH from windows to UNIX gateway
    >
    > On windows computer telnet to localhost 13000 - 13499 individually up
    > to 25 consecutive. Putty sets tunnel L13000=192.x.x.001:23 -
    > L13499=10.x.x.250:23 each local port being a separate server that can
    > only be accessed from the unix gateway.

    With these requirements, I think I'd be taking a good hard look at
    openvpn.

    Clients would Openvpn once, and then be able to telnet to the IP's on
    teh other side without any mystery.

    http://openvpn.net/

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: SSH Port Forwarding Question

    > With these requirements, I think I'd be taking a good hard look at
    > openvpn.
    >
    > Clients would Openvpn once, and then be able to telnet to the IP's on
    > teh other side without any mystery.
    >
    > http://openvpn.net/

    Unfortunately I do not have server admin rights to install a server
    app thus the desire to stick with an application already in use
    (SSHd). No doubt that if I had control of both sides I could do
    that.

+ Reply to Thread