Public key auth from Unix client to Windows SSH server - SSH

This is a discussion on Public key auth from Unix client to Windows SSH server - SSH ; Hi All, I have used Public key authentication from a Unix SSH client to another Unix SSH server and from a Windows SSH client to Unix SSH client (all using OpenSSH). Now I wanted to know if it will be ...

  1. Public key auth from Unix client to Windows SSH server

    Hi All,

    I have used Public key authentication from a Unix SSH client to
    another Unix SSH server and from a Windows SSH client to Unix SSH
    client (all using OpenSSH). Now I wanted to know if it will be any
    different when the client is a Unix SSH client connecting to a Windows
    SSH server (with OpenSSH or Cygwin running as service).

    Also what I am getting confused is where will the private and public
    keys be stored. I need to be logged into Unix and from there I want to
    establish an sftp (or scp) connection to the Windows SSH server using
    public key authentication. So I intend to generate the keys on the
    Unix host, the private key will be on the Unix host and the public key
    I will transfer to the Windows user home directory. Does it really
    matter where I generate the keys - or is the host name a factor in the
    key generation?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Public key auth from Unix client to Windows SSH server

    anokun7 wrote:
    > I have used Public key authentication from a Unix SSH client to
    > another Unix SSH server and from a Windows SSH client to Unix SSH
    > client (all using OpenSSH). Now I wanted to know if it will be any
    > different when the client is a Unix SSH client connecting to a Windows
    > SSH server (with OpenSSH or Cygwin running as service).

    Not much. The software is a bigger difference. So if it's OpenSSH
    everywhere, it should be pretty straightforward.

    > Also what I am getting confused is where will the private and public
    > keys be stored.

    There are multiple sets of public/private keys. The server will have a
    host key and the user may have another set of keys.

    For user side, the client needs to authenticate to the server, so the
    client has the secret (private) key and the server has public key.

    > I need to be logged into Unix and from there I want to
    > establish an sftp (or scp) connection to the Windows SSH server using
    > public key authentication. So I intend to generate the keys on the
    > Unix host, the private key will be on the Unix host and the public key
    > I will transfer to the Windows user home directory. Does it really
    > matter where I generate the keys - or is the host name a factor in the
    > key generation?

    Host name is not a factor. The key generator often sticks a host name
    into the public key file as a comment, but it's just for you to keep
    track of it. It's not part of the key.

    From a security point of view, you want the secret (the private key) to
    move around as little as possible, so most would suggest that you
    generate the keys on the client, then copy and install the public
    component on the server as authorization. But as far as the software is
    concerned, it doesn't matter where they're generated as long as they end
    up in the right place.

    --
    Darren Dunham ddunham@taos.com

  3. Re: Public key auth from Unix client to Windows SSH server

    On Aug 14, 5:43 pm, Darren Dunham wrote:
    > anokun7 wrote:
    > > I have used Public key authentication from a Unix SSH client to
    > > another Unix SSH server and from a Windows SSH client to Unix SSH
    > > client (all using OpenSSH). Now I wanted to know if it will be any
    > > different when the client is a Unix SSH client connecting to a Windows
    > > SSH server (with OpenSSH or Cygwin running as service).

    > Not much. The software is a bigger difference. So if it's OpenSSH
    > everywhere, it should be pretty straightforward.
    >
    > > Also what I am getting confused is where will the private and public
    > > keys be stored.

    > There are multiple sets of public/private keys. The server will have a
    > host key and the user may have another set of keys.
    >
    > For user side, the client needs to authenticate to the server, so the
    > client has the secret (private) key and the server has public key.
    >
    > > I need to be logged into Unix and from there I want to
    > > establish an sftp (or scp) connection to the Windows SSH server using
    > > public key authentication. So I intend to generate the keys on the
    > > Unix host, the private key will be on the Unix host and the public key
    > > I will transfer to the Windows user home directory. Does it really
    > > matter where I generate the keys - or is the host name a factor in the
    > > key generation?

    > Host name is not a factor. The key generator often sticks a host name
    > into the public key file as a comment, but it's just for you to keep
    > track of it. It's not part of the key.
    >
    > From a security point of view, you want the secret (the private key) to
    > move around as little as possible, so most would suggest that you
    > generate the keys on the client, then copy and install the public
    > component on the server as authorization. But as far as the software is
    > concerned, it doesn't matter where they're generated as long as they end
    > up in the right place.
    >
    > --
    > Darren Dunham ddun...@taos.com
    > Senior Technical Consultant TAOS http://www.taos.com/
    > Got some Dr Pepper? San Francisco, CA bay area
    > < This line left intentionally blank to confuse you. >

    Thank you so much for the concise response. You helped clear up my
    confusion.

    Best regards.

+ Reply to Thread