Putty -- unable to use Sub-Domain? - SSH

This is a discussion on Putty -- unable to use Sub-Domain? - SSH ; Hi all, I am new here, and it really is because of a small problem (might be a bug?). When I tried connecting to my SSH server at home, I was unable to do so. Allow me to explain: My ...

  1. Putty -- unable to use Sub-Domain?

    Hi all,

    I am new here, and it really is because of a small problem (might be
    a bug?). When I tried connecting to my SSH server at home, I was
    unable to do so. Allow me to explain:

    My server is running on a Sub-Domain (xxxxx.hopto.org).

    When I tried using Putty to connect to it, Putty only connects to the
    main domain which is hopto.org and I still can't find a way to make it
    connect to my sub-domain. Currently, I am able to connect to it by
    using my server's WAN IP. Could someone please help me out in this?

    P.S Please let me know if I am in the wrong Usenet group as I
    understand that there are 2.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Putty -- unable to use Sub-Domain?

    Skylive! writes:

    >Hi all,

    > I am new here, and it really is because of a small problem (might be
    >a bug?). When I tried connecting to my SSH server at home, I was
    >unable to do so. Allow me to explain:

    >My server is running on a Sub-Domain (xxxxx.hopto.org).

    Is xxxx.hopto.org a valid routable iP or is it a private ip ( 192.168.x.x
    or 10.x.x.x) which cannot be routed.

    >When I tried using Putty to connect to it, Putty only connects to the
    >main domain which is hopto.org and I still can't find a way to make it
    >connect to my sub-domain. Currently, I am able to connect to it by
    >using my server's WAN IP. Could someone please help me out in this?

    Then use the wan ip. You do not have dns properly configured.

    >P.S Please let me know if I am in the wrong Usenet group as I
    >understand that there are 2.

    >Thanks!

  3. Re: Putty -- unable to use Sub-Domain?

    On Aug 6, 2:48 am, Unruh wrote:
    > Skylive! writes:
    > >Hi all,
    > > I am new here, and it really is because of a small problem (might be
    > >a bug?). When I tried connecting to my SSH server at home, I was
    > >unable to do so. Allow me to explain:
    > >My server is running on a Sub-Domain (xxxxx.hopto.org).

    > Is xxxx.hopto.org a valid routable iP or is it a private ip ( 192.168.x.x
    > or 10.x.x.x) which cannot be routed.
    >
    > >When I tried using Putty to connect to it, Putty only connects to the
    > >main domain which is hopto.org and I still can't find a way to make it
    > >connect to my sub-domain. Currently, I am able to connect to it by
    > >using my server's WAN IP. Could someone please help me out in this?

    > Then use the wan ip. You do not have dns properly configured.
    >
    > >P.S Please let me know if I am in the wrong Usenet group as I
    > >understand that there are 2.
    > >Thanks!

    Hi!
    hopto.org is the a domain from no-ip.com ( A domain provider)
    I am using a sub-domain (xxxx.hopto.org)

    If I type it into my browser, it displays my webpage, served from my
    server, but for putty, it tries to connect to the domain, instead of
    my sub-domain... I was wondering if there was a work around.

    Thanks!

  4. Re: Putty -- unable to use Sub-Domain?

    Skylive! wrote:
    > On Aug 6, 2:48 am, Unruh wrote:
    >> Skylive! writes:
    >>> Hi all,
    >>> I am new here, and it really is because of a small problem (might be
    >>> a bug?). When I tried connecting to my SSH server at home, I was
    >>> unable to do so. Allow me to explain:
    >>> My server is running on a Sub-Domain (xxxxx.hopto.org).

    >> Is xxxx.hopto.org a valid routable iP or is it a private ip ( 192.168.x.x
    >> or 10.x.x.x) which cannot be routed.
    >>
    >>> When I tried using Putty to connect to it, Putty only connects to the
    >>> main domain which is hopto.org and I still can't find a way to make it
    >>> connect to my sub-domain. Currently, I am able to connect to it by
    >>> using my server's WAN IP. Could someone please help me out in this?

    >> Then use the wan ip. You do not have dns properly configured.
    >>
    >>> P.S Please let me know if I am in the wrong Usenet group as I
    >>> understand that there are 2.
    >>> Thanks!

    > Hi!
    > hopto.org is the a domain from no-ip.com ( A domain provider)
    > I am using a sub-domain (xxxx.hopto.org)
    >
    > If I type it into my browser, it displays my webpage, served from my
    > server, but for putty, it tries to connect to the domain, instead of
    > my sub-domain... I was wondering if there was a work around.
    >
    > Thanks!

    I don't know how hopto.org works, but I use PuTTY with subdomains
    without any problem.

    You need to check and see what IP address your DNS server is giving you
    for your subdomain (xxxx.hopto.org); use nslookup or some such tool. If
    you get your server's address, then PuTTY should work just as well as
    your web access. However, it's possible that you're getting an IP
    address for hopto.org from DNS and then hopto.org is forwarding your web
    request to your server. In this case, you would be stuck, and would
    need to find a better service than hopto for your needs.

    --
    Steve

  5. Re: Putty -- unable to use Sub-Domain?

    On Aug 7, 12:31 am, Steve Sentoff wrote:
    > Skylive! wrote:
    > >> Is xxxx.hopto.org a valid routable iP or is it a private ip ( 192.168.x.x
    > >> or 10.x.x.x) which cannot be routed.

    > >> Then use the wan ip. You do not have dns properly configured.

    > > Hi!
    > > hopto.org is the a domain from no-ip.com ( A domain provider)
    > > I am using a sub-domain (xxxx.hopto.org)

    > > If I type it into my browser, it displays my webpage, served from my
    > > server, but for putty, it tries to connect to the domain, instead of
    > > my sub-domain... I was wondering if there was a work around.

    > > Thanks!

    > I don't know how hopto.org works, but I use PuTTY with subdomains
    > without any problem.
    >
    > You need to check and see what IP address your DNS server is giving you
    > for your subdomain (xxxx.hopto.org); use nslookup or some such tool. If
    > you get your server's address, then PuTTY should work just as well as
    > your web access. However, it's possible that you're getting an IP
    > address for hopto.org from DNS and then hopto.org is forwarding your web
    > request to your server. In this case, you would be stuck, and would
    > need to find a better service than hopto for your needs.
    >
    > --
    > Steve

    Ok, Thank you very much!

+ Reply to Thread