Plink forwarding to access pop.gmail.com with non-SSL POP client? - SSH

This is a discussion on Plink forwarding to access pop.gmail.com with non-SSL POP client? - SSH ; I need access to Gmail from a client which cannot use SSL. So I thought I could use PuTTY/Plink to create a tunnel from localhost to gmail, but I couldn't get it to work. Does someone know how to do ...

  1. Plink forwarding to access pop.gmail.com with non-SSL POP client?

    I need access to Gmail from a client which cannot use SSL. So I
    thought I could use PuTTY/Plink to create a tunnel from localhost to
    gmail, but I couldn't get it to work.

    Does someone know how to do it?

    I tried

    plink -L 110op.gmail.com:995

    but it seems this would need more arguments. I also tried

    plink -ssh -L 110op.gmail.com:995

    but I still get "Usage: plink [options] [user@]host [command]" etc.

    What am I missing?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Plink forwarding to access pop.gmail.com with non-SSL POP client?

    rduke15 wrote:
    > I need access to Gmail from a client which cannot use SSL. So I
    > thought I could use PuTTY/Plink to create a tunnel from localhost to
    > gmail, but I couldn't get it to work.
    >
    > Does someone know how to do it?
    >
    > I tried
    >
    > plink -L 110op.gmail.com:995
    >
    > but it seems this would need more arguments. I also tried
    >
    > plink -ssh -L 110op.gmail.com:995

    plink [ options ] [user@]host [command]

    Where's the host ? you connect to nowhere with this...

    > but I still get "Usage: plink [options] [user@]host [command]" etc.
    >
    > What am I missing?

    2 things:
    1. The host is missing..

    2. You're mixing what SSL and what SSH are. You cannot use SSH
    to convert SSL encrypted traffic to unencrypted SSL traffic
    and vice-versa.

    You must have a ssh access to the server. You do *not* have a ssh access
    to gmail server.. A local ssh tunnel cannot work for what you want to
    do.

    The -L option of ssh is usefull when you have a server with SSH access
    and other service that you want to pass trought the ssh tunnel instead
    of directly throught the ports they normally used.

    Example.. if you have a regular pop3 mail server on COMP_A (where you
    have a ssh access) and you want to access you mail from the COMP_B you
    can make this tunnel from the COMP_B:
    plink -L 10025:127.0.0.1:25 COMP_A

    And set your client to a *regular* pop3 server (not ssl nothing) on
    localhost port 10025. That way.. the pop traffic is encrypted between
    COMP_A and COMP_B.. but the pop client on COMP_B got the original
    unencrypted traffic locally on port 10025.

    Anyway.. if you google about ssh tunnels.. you can get a lot of
    informations about this.

    So finally, you must found a client that support SSL.

    --
    Martin

  3. Re: Plink forwarding to access pop.gmail.com with non-SSL POP client?

    In article <1186146340.683377.83620@b79g2000hse.googlegroups.c om>
    rduke15 writes:
    >I need access to Gmail from a client which cannot use SSL. So I
    >thought I could use PuTTY/Plink to create a tunnel from localhost to
    >gmail, but I couldn't get it to work.
    >
    >Does someone know how to do it?

    As pointed out, SSH != SSL. What you want is 'stunnel' (no idea if it
    runs on Windows, assuming from your choice of PuTTY/Plink that you're
    running that).

    --Per Hedeland
    per@hedeland.org

  4. Re: Plink forwarding to access pop.gmail.com with non-SSL POP client?

    Thank you Martin and Per!

    Indeed, it turns out putty/plink was not what I needed for this.

    And as Per suggested, the right tool is stunnel (http://
    www.stunnel.org/). With a simple config file like

    client = yes

    [pop3s]
    accept = 127.0.0.1:110
    connect = pop.gmail.com:995

    [smtps]
    accept = 127.0.0.1:25
    connect = smtp.gmail.com:465

    I now have the de-crypted Gmail POP3 server answering on localhost:
    110, and Gmail's SMTP server on localhost:25.

    Thanks a lot,

    RD

+ Reply to Thread