openssh not tunneling X - SSH

This is a discussion on openssh not tunneling X - SSH ; I am having a bloody hard time forwarding Xwindows applications through ssh from a AIX 5.3 box in my ubuntu box. At first I thought it did not have X11Forwarding setup to "yes" in the sshd- config file. I does. ...

  1. openssh not tunneling X

    I am having a bloody hard time forwarding Xwindows
    applications through ssh from a AIX 5.3 box in my ubuntu box. At first
    I thought it did not have X11Forwarding setup to "yes" in the sshd-
    config file. I does.

    [...]
    # X11Forwarding no
    X11Forwarding yes
    X11DisplayOffset 10
    [...]

    I did restart sshd just in case to make sure that is being used. BTW,
    we are using openssh:

    [aixblade:/etc/ssh] ssh -V
    OpenSSH_4.3p2, OpenSSL 0.9.7g 11 Apr 2005
    [aixblade:/etc/ssh]

    Here is some output from connecting to the said machine using ssh -
    vvvX raub@aixblade:

    [...]
    debug2: x11_get_proto: /usr/bin/X11/xauth list :0.0 2>/dev/null
    debug1: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.
    debug2: channel 0: request x11-req confirm 0
    debug2: client_session2_setup: id 0
    [...]
    debug3: Ignored env DISPLAY
    debug3: Ignored env LESSCLOSE
    debug3: Ignored env COLORTERM
    debug3: Ignored env XAUTHORITY
    debug3: Ignored env _
    debug2: channel 0: request shell confirm 0
    debug2: fd 3 setting TCP_NODELAY
    debug2: callback done
    debug2: channel 0: open confirm rwindow 0 rmax 32768
    debug1: Remote: No xauth program; cannot forward with spoofing.
    debug2: channel 0: rcvd adjust 131072
    Last unsuccessful login: Mon Jul 23 11:49:20 CDT 2007 on ssh from
    10.0.3.252
    Last login: Mon Jul 23 12:59:52 CDT 2007 on /dev/pts/0 from 10.0.3.43
    *
    *
    *
    *
    * Welcome to AIX Version
    5.3! *
    *
    *
    *
    *
    * Please see the README file in /usr/lpp/bos for information
    pertinent to *
    * this release of the AIX Operating
    System. *
    *
    *
    *
    *
    $

    The first hint I had, besides the verbose output shown above, that
    things were boink was that DISPLAY was not defined by ssh. The, I
    tried to connect from a XP laptop which has xming and putty and has no
    problem connecting to and forwarding X11 application in other machines
    (Solaris, linux) also running openssh. I did compare the sshd_config
    files and could not find any clues. What should I check next? And,
    what is his problem with xauth? AFAIK, it is there:

    [aixblade:/etc/ssh] which xauth
    /usr/bin/X11/xauth
    [aixblade:/etc/ssh]

  2. Re: openssh not tunneling X

    [sshd_config]
    XAuthLocation
    Specifies the full pathname of the xauth(1) program. The default
    is /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth.

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net